14 bolt brakes - can you spot the missing piece?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Started to adjust rear brakes on my 95 suburban k2500 this afternoon. Figured I'd check the condition of everything since I haven't done so since buying it and discovered a "missing" piece. Misplaced rather than truly missing and has resulted in the need for new shoes. After finally getting the drum off, the missing piece fell to the ground.
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Started to adjust rear brakes on my 95 suburban k2500 this afternoon. Figured I'd check the condition of everything since I haven't done so since buying it and discovered a "missing" piece. Misplaced rather than truly missing and has resulted in the need for new shoes. After finally getting the drum off, the missing piece fell to the ground.

This?

For some reason hardly anyone makes this.... just Dorpoop.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
That's the escapee. Not sure how it even came loose but was definitely floating around for a while by the groove cut into it.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
The spring was bouncing around in there as well. Undamaged somehow.

If i make it to town today, I'll pick up new shoes and hardware, clean everything up, and reassemble.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A year ago I turned the drums, new shoes, new wheel cylinders. While shopping for the parts did notice you can can purchase complete new hardware kits, springs, pins, caps. At least 3 different sources.. FYI

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I took a quick look at price for shoes and the parking brake strut. New hardware has become the norm for me whenever i disassemble drum drakes. Rock Auto vs Napa and Carquest/Advance. Likely will go to the local carquest since its between home and work.

Had to replace a weld-on diff cover on my in-laws 4runnner last year. Ended up putting new wheel seals, backing plates, all new hardware, and brake lines. Had to remove it all and figured, why not after 20 years of abuse and rusting. Not something I'd enjoy doing again since shafts and carrier all need to come out of axle to grind off the cover and weld new one on.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
discovered a "missing" piece. Misplaced rather than truly missing and has resulted in the need for new shoes.
How does a missing park-brake strut require new shoes? Did it damage them somehow?

Had to replace a weld-on diff cover on my in-laws 4runnner last year. Ended up putting new wheel seals, backing plates, all new hardware, and brake lines. Had to remove it all and figured, why not after 20 years of abuse and rusting. Not something I'd enjoy doing again since shafts and carrier all need to come out of axle to grind off the cover and weld new one on.
Rust hole in the "cover"? Or damaged by contact with obstacles?

If it was rust, I'd have been mighty tempted to weld a patch over the hole.

This happens often enough that they sell replacement "covers"???

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
How does a missing park-brake strut require new shoes? Did it damage them somehow?

Possibly unrelated damage to the shoe but a chunk of the friction material had broken off of a corner on the bottom of the front shoe, in the area of the strut's "new home".
If it was rust, I'd have been mighty tempted to weld a patch over the hole.

This happens often enough that they sell replacement "covers"???
It was a rust hole. I took a shot and patching it but the cover was crusty enough that there wasn't enough metal to patch to. They sell replacement covers fortunately enough.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Plenty of life left in the shoes if not for the broken friction material. One side is replaced and on to the other side tomorrow evening. Once both sides are replaced and i finish cleaning up the wheels, I'll adjust and verify everything is working correctly.