10K possible with a 4.3 and NV3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I'll add that NV3500s were popular due to their shift characteristics. IF in good condition, and with correct lube, they are very friendly. Very nice feel. Great for smallish loads. They were never designed for commercial or heavy towing.
I got lucky and found a local shop where the owner know the trans like the back of his hand. He's been working on transmissions for 30+ years. And he built drag cars back in the day. I told him what I want to do and he said they can be rebuilt for some mild abuse - if you can find the right parts. He said the #1 killer of these trans is inferior lucubration or just simply the wrong type.

The clutch, with the tall 3500 1st was not happy.
I imagine you're talking about the stock form? Just like anything else, you can customize it to fit your needs, assuming you can find the parts.

As someone stated, a gooseneck would allow for safely going forward...but it won't help stop the load...
A gooseneck is in the future. Got five projects to sort out before that happens...

BTW, diesel is good too.
Yes diesel is the better option. I got a love affair with the 6.5 Detriot. Just a matter of finding one that is cheap.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh yeah like I can stuff that into a pickup...

Then again, I can just pull a David Freiburger and put some leaf blowers under the hood lol
While you're building, a DD 4-53NA MUI can be stuffed in that space....with modest modifications to the front suspension...and a few other systems... 4-53 has a huge 'personality' quotient..big fun. There are some aluminum block 4-53T generator engines for military use that are floating around. Easy-peasy. Killer little engines. Huge power at 2800 Rs.
Your NV 3500 will require minor adapting. And locate a good used Dana 60 front axle (Ford 1 ton). Since you're building from ground up...WTH...go for it.
BTW, in order to make your project a bit easier, Cummins 4BT would also "fit" and make a nice project. 5.9 or 6.7 better? Avoid old GM V8 diesels like the plague. 2016 and up big 3 diesels are all great. Most any 5.9 and up Cummins are excellent...YMMV. Post pics!
[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

92_Bahama

Reaction score
This thread is way to fun to stay away from so I am going to start with a question.

Do you own stock in a clutch company? Now I am the first one to call the DOT a bunch of road pirates however even the thought of pulling 10K with a 4.3 in a K1500 would make me laugh even at my ol' lady's funeral. The only way a 4.3 is going to move down the road at the posted speed with over 10K of GVWR is on a flatbed. The half-ton GMT400 frames cannot support that kind of tongue weight especially coming from the bumper. Your bed will be getting to know the back of your cab before you make it home from the first job. Hell the eight lug GMT400 frames top out at 10K from the bumper, unless you own a DRW K3500 that stays crust free and use a fifthwheel/gooseneck hitch. The only way you are going to pull 10K multiple times a year with a GMT400 is via a 383/454 eight lug setup with a 4l80e or NV4500 behind it. A 6.5 will send a rod to the moon seeing the RPM's required to pull 10K for multiple miles. 10 bolts, NV3500's, and 1/8in steel is great for keeping things under 7.5K with right setup but anything above that is guaranteed failure. You can find an extended cab TBI 454 truck for the price of your next NV3500 rebuild:rotflmao:

I'm just having some fun with ya but in all seriousness a DRW C/K3500 with a NV4500 would treat you just right. Don't have too much fun!

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hint. Make it look like this.
Live happily ever after.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled a mini excavator and a bobcat on a triple axle trailer almost 45 miles with no real issues, that is till I went to restart my truck after work! Spun a rod bearing, boss bought me a crate motor and have me a paid day off to put it in tho. Without those machines there would have cost him about $45k so the $1600 crate motor was worth it. Truck was a 95 c1500 5.7l

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I pulled a mini excavator and a bobcat on a triple axle trailer almost 45 miles with no real issues
A mini excavator and bobcat come in different weight classes. Do you know how much yours weight? All joking aside from this thread, my real problem is how much real estate is between the hitch and my front axle on the trailer. I've got nearly 7ft, so got to balance tongue weight carefully.

Spun a rod bearing, boss bought me a crate motor and have me a paid day off to put it in tho.
How many miles on the engine and were you the original owner? With my engine and trans being freshly rebuilt, I won't be towing anything for the first few thousand miles.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got lucky and found a local shop where the owner know the trans like the back of his hand. He's been working on transmissions for 30+ years. And he built drag cars back in the day. I told him what I want to do and he said they can be rebuilt for some mild abuse - if you can find the right parts. He said the #1 killer of these trans is inferior lucubration or just simply the wrong type.

why though? holy **** why? yea the 3500 might shift better (in a daily driving non-towing non-modified application) but a decent used 4500 would be way cheaper and you will not break it, especially not with a v6. i have no idea why you're so set on using inferior equipment to do a job, and spending more money doing it.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
why though? holy **** why?
Not sure what you're referring to in my response. Can you be more specific?

yea the 3500 might shift better (in a daily driving non-towing non-modified application) but a decent used 4500 would be way cheaper and you will not break it, especially not with a v6.
I understand I may not get 10K out of a 3500, but right now I don't really have time or money to hunt down a 4500. Considering it was hard enough to find the 3500 in my area. Main reason I'm still using it is I don't want to go through the effort to find a T5 and make it work with the engine or tcase.

i have no idea why you're so set on using inferior equipment to do a job, and spending more money doing it.
I had to get the 3500 rebuilt anyway because it was grinding in all gears and the sycros were gone. Sometimes it would refuse to get into gear and others it would pop out. Finding 75w oil in it didn't help it either. With how it's being rebuilt right now, it should handle probably 5-6K.

10K is not in the immediate future, so the 3500 should handle what I want to do.