10 bolt Trutrac install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
97 c1500 2wd silvy ecsb 5.7

Going to install a new Trutrac diff in my 10 bolt......I'm not swapping to a 14 so don't start on me about that.

Now my question is , i read on the Moser site that this diff does not need the oversize bearings . It says from 89-98 it uses standard size bearings but after 99 they are larger... ok I understand that but why when I try to purchase this diff it says I need larger bearings..

is there a site that makes it easy to get everything you need at once, I'm tired of trying to find install kits and bearings to fit this diff.... shouldn't be this hard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing a Detroit Locker as soon as I get my transmission sorted out, here's the kit I'm going to be using. I know you're using a TrueTrac but I'm pretty sure all the Eaton 10 bolt carriers use the same bearings we're talking about here.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-r10remkt

That kit comes with nice Timken bearings as well, I confirmed on the phone with Motive Midwest.

EDIT - Double checked Eaton's application guide, yup. Detroit Locker and TrueTrac use the same bearings for our 10 bolts.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing a Detroit Locker as soon as I get my transmission sorted out, here's the kit I'm going to be using. I know you're using a TrueTrac but I'm pretty sure all the Eaton 10 bolt carriers use the same bearings we're talking about here.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-r10remkt

That kit comes with nice Timken bearings as well, I confirmed on the phone with Motive Midwest.

EDIT - Double checked Eaton's application guide, yup. Detroit Locker and TrueTrac use the same bearings for our 10 bolts.

Great , thank you. I'm also gonn a change out the axle bearings/seals while I'm at it

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve's Chevy .... Have you put the trutrac in yet? I'm interested in one for my 94 z71. Planning on rebuilding the rearend end with new gears, etc and was thinking of getting a trutrac....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wasn't directed at me but I have some experience driving a vehicle with a TrueTrac so I figured I'd chime in.

I've never driven one of these trucks with a TrueTrac, but I have driven a first gen Monte Carlo with one and I can tell you that it performs flawlessly. The only reason I'm going to use a Detroit Locker over the TrueTrac in my red truck is that from what I've read the TrueTrac will act like an open diff and be pretty much useless if one wheel ever gets up off the ground. Just doesn't seem right to me in a truck, although if you never plan on being in that situation off-road then I'd imagine you'd be fine with it. TrueTracs are very street friendly and smooth operating, you won't ever feel or hear them working, just traction for days on pavement. (Or a lack of traction, depending on how far down your right foot is.) :burnout:

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks df2x4 for the info I might be buying me a Detroit locker instead then if that's true about the one wheel situation....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome. Probably a good call if you off road much. I'm sure you could overcome the one wheel issue with the TrueTrac simply by applying the brakes a little to distribute some torque to the grounded wheel, but I'd rather not have to mess with that.