1-3/8 dia. front sway bar upgrade ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm putting together an order for all new front suspension parts for a complete job on my '95. I was wondering if the 1-3/8 dia front sway bar is really that much of a noticeable handling upgrade from the stock 1-1/4. To me, the 1/4 difference in size doesn't seem that it would make that much difference.

Any opinions of those who changed this sway bar would be great.

Thanks

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There's actually 2 different sway bar sizes for 2 whl.dr.'s.
The pick-ups that came with just the front bar have a larger bar than the SUV's that came with both. GM's method of compensating for just having the one.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's actually 2 different sway bar sizes for 2 whl.dr.'s.
The pick-ups that came with just the front bar have a larger bar than the SUV's that came with both. GM's method of compensating for just having the one.
Oh really? Crap I just assumed I had the 11/4 and ordered energy sway bar bushings/links kit.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Too bad it didn't fit a 4wd, I want to upgrade the front of my dually to help with the camper. Already have a Hellwig out back.

roostmeyer

Reaction score
Bar torsion is diameter raised to the fourth power multiplied by some other things that I don't remember. so the 1.375" bar is ~50% stiffer than 1.25". 1.5" would be roughly double the stiffness, but I'm seeing the ridetech bar as a 1.438" which would be ~1.75 stiffer than stock.

I have the belltech 1.375" and an F-body 1" rear bar, it has really cut down on roll.

dryslk

Reaction score
Yes a tubular bar of same size has a stiffer spring & rebound rate . this has a few advantages 1 being there are 2 working surfaces . there is a program 2 figuring out bar rates . i used a .875 tubular bar on the back of a vehicle & if memory serves it was 1.5 /2 times stiffer . If your interested do some reading on torsion bars on a Sprint car . If was me I would put a rear bar on with the stock front bar & see if you like how it works . The bars effect the opposite end of a vehicle I.E. Front bar affects the Rear & Rear effects the Front. The other thing I would do is get a hold of a shock company & ask for shock valvings that would work with your application QA1 is 1 company that comes 2 mind
:driver:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've put rear sway bars on both of my RCSB's. One of the best handling mods I've done. Don't understand why GM never made them available at least as an option on the 1/2t 2wheel drive trucks.
My '97 has one from a 1/2t Suburban.
The '98's is an aftermarket one of some kind. J/Y find. A larger bar than the Suburban one.
Both have had urethane bushings installed.