'09 Crown Vic Police Interceptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Hmmm... wife and I aren't speaking, I just got a truck, and a coworker who is old school OCD about her vehicles just offered me her 12×,××× mile '06 Mercury Grand Marquis (exact same body) for "less than $1000". It either doesn't have reverse, or it ONLY has reverse, I can't remember. She doesn't drive it in winter and tries not to get it out in the rain....
Been parked for about a month because of the transmission issue.
EXCELLENT candidate for the body swap, but at a HORRIBLE time. &@#%$*!!!

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
The Merc is 200 miles from where it needs to be (dad's house). I'm located in about the middle between the car and dad's house. Car trailer is at dad's. Lol. So all told, I'm lookin at about 500 miles of getting to know my "new" 286+K mile truck. Should make for some good posts.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Crown Vics have the 4.6 and the Police cars (P71/P7B) had no engine cover. Coil on plug. Haven't seen a P71 with Underhood insulation, either.
I have heard so many nightmares about 5.4 engines...plugs, timing chains and major issues. 5.4s would be a deal breaker for me.

I guess everyone will have their opinion. I was a Senior Master tech for Ford for 8 years and I caught the tail end of the police Crown Vics for at my current position and I'll take the 5.4 over the 4.6 any day of the week. Damn near the same engine with all the same pattern failures but the 5.4 had more low end torque and less noise.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for these tanks as well. I had a 92 that I swapped a 5.0 HO/GT40P hybrid into with T5, 3.73, trak-lok, 98+ front brakes/springs, new cop shocks. It was still a boat, but at least you could get it sideways. Pulled 20+ hwy with the 3.73 and 27+ with the 3.08 hwy.