***Your HID Questions Answered Here.***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. Spend the big bucks on OEM quality HIDs.

And even then its still a gamble on whether or not they will come up to temp faster then the run of the mill HID kits! From what I've read, some of the cheaper HID kit's warm up just as fast as some of the OE ballasts!

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I've read, some of the cheaper HID kit's warm up just as fast as some of the OE ballasts!

I've yet to see any cheap HIDs that come close. They'll reach maybe 80% in 3-4 seconds, but it still takes another 5-6 seconds to reach 100%. My factory CTS HIDs which are 7 years old now, take less than a second to reach 100%. Factory HIDs on cars from the last few years make those look slow. They're practically instant-on.

Maybe in a few years the really fast ignition will trickle down into these cheap kits, but until then, I'll deal with it.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's an LED parking light bulb I can order that will actually light up WHITE and match my 6k HID's I have coming in? The silverstars are okay but like I said they light up yellowish. Better than orange though I suppose.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SuperbrightLEDs.com is your best bet for LED's! You can pretty much get any bulb set up in any flavor you want!

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha dang it. I HATE superbrightleds...I ordered my original dash lights from them and only 2/6 worked. I sent them several emails and returned them and they just never even wrote me back, so they can burn in hell. I hate that autozone or napa doesn't carry these and that they have to be ordered from somewhere that makes super complicated to get your money back when their supercheapleds don't work...

Guys would putting LED's in the taillights/reverse/parking lights make a big difference in the look of the light output vs. the regular bulbs in there now? Also if anyone knows of a general store like napa that might carry them in most towns let me know so I don't have to order them. Sorry for the rant, but this is the type thing I rather purchase here instead of order.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've yet to see any cheap HIDs that come close. They'll reach maybe 80% in 3-4 seconds, but it still takes another 5-6 seconds to reach 100%. My factory CTS HIDs which are 7 years old now, take less than a second to reach 100%. Factory HIDs on cars from the last few years make those look slow. They're practically instant-on.

Maybe in a few years the really fast ignition will trickle down into these cheap kits, but until then, I'll deal with it.

I agree that the Cadillac HID's are VERY good units! And extremely fast to get up to temp, My DTS doesn't have HID's but I have driven 2010 and 2009 Escalades with the projector HID's and there full intensity almost instantaneously. However I was reffereing to an article I read over on HIDPlanet that was comparing various ballast from varrious Manufacturers including some OEM ballasts and some of the cheaper HID kit's actually out performed the OE ballast (iirc the OE ballast was a Mutishi or something close to that)

nissmoroller

Reaction score
i will be pivking up a 95 yukon in a few weeks... and i would like to get HID lights on it and after reading this im left with 1 question.....would i have to buy a new/diferent housing:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i will be pivking up a 95 yukon in a few weeks... and i would like to get HID lights on it and after reading this im left with 1 question.....would i have to buy a new/diferent housing:hmm::hmm::hmm:

No, You don't HAVE to buy a new housing to go with HID's. There are several people out there that run the "P&P" HID kit's without upgrading headlight housings. Although i would be a little cautious running HID's in you Low Beams if you don't have an aftermarket headlight housing with glare caps in the lows. Because the HID's cause quite a bit of glare when mounted in a halogen housings, and can be offending to oncoming drivers. Not something you have to do, just something to keep in mind! :handshake:

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My no more than 2 month old DDM HID's are flickering like a mother ****** now. All I know is everything is tightened down to something, esp the battery terminals. I have the relay harness jumbled up and zip tied off and when I take that and move it they start to flicker but it's all just solid wire....Nothing to re-wire or re-tighten there. WTF.