xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Zep Purple cleaned the tank! Damn that stuff is impressive. I probably poured in 2.5 gallons full strength. Let it soak maybe five days (?), occasionally tipping the tank side to side to slosh it around.

Now that that's done, scrubbing the entire exterior of the tank with steel wool to strip the old paint off. Elbow greasin' like crazy.

You must be registered for see images attach

What was it full of?

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the gaskets look good. Harness stuff is always tedious.
There’s no way I’d trust anyone with shipping one of our dashes.
Nah there aren’t any aftermarket dashes, when I was looking I did see a handful in Houston that were nice but 6-800 bucks was still a little rich for me. Plus a 4 hour drive one way. Plus it’s Houston…. :Moon:
There are aftermarket dashes for 88-94. But nothing yet for 95 and up

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spray some oven cleaner on it.
I found a nice Metabo 3-1/8" orbital disc sander on Amazon with good reviews. Going to grab it in a couple of weeks. I want to paint the gas tank with a primer and then a textured black finish that will mimic a plastic gas tank. Any ideas for the black paint?

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a nice Metabo 3-1/8" orbital disc sander on Amazon with good reviews. Going to grab it in a couple of weeks. I want to paint the gas tank with a primer and then a textured black finish that will mimic a plastic gas tank. Any ideas for the black paint?
I’d go with something like por15 rust preventative. Then you can hit it with a top coat of whatever rustoleum or anything else textured you may find.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote is Klean Strip Metal Prep, then Rustoleum Rust Reformer(Rustoleum’s version of POR15). It is recommended to add a top coat to POR15, while Rustoleum(spray on or brush on)doesn’t need one. Kind of a best oil argument here though.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to paint the gas tank with a primer and then a textured black finish that will mimic a plastic gas tank. Any ideas for the black paint?
Rust oleum and a nap roller. These left a nice texture on my floor pan.
You must be registered for see images attach