xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If I were to paint a tank, I'd paint it black or silver. I don't think they were painted by GM, but plated with something. I've recently bought the black version of RP-342 which is supposed to be Cosmoline and work really well for keeping rust away, so I'd probably use that as a final layer.... maybe get the regular amber color if I used silver paint.

If you don't have the plastic shield anymore, you might check a salvage yard for one.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Got some work done with Metabo and 60 grit disc, but after about an hour, felt I should give it a rest for a week, as this sanding made my fingers feel weird. Don't know how people can sand (auto body work) for a living. Sheesh.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tank looks good. I still have my original sitting in my back yard. Part of me wants to toss it, and part of me thinks I'll get it fixed and sealed.
I ordered another pack of 25 60-grit sanding pads. Used quite a few of the existing 25-pack already. I think I'll go with 240-grit after this, then finish with 400-grit.

I decided to use Rust-Oleum Primer Sealer (249321) and finish it with Rust-Oleum Professional Grader Undercoating Spray (248656). i think it will give the fuel tank the look I'm looking for.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I ordered another pack of 25 60-grit sanding pads. Used quite a few of the existing 25-pack already. I think I'll go with 240-grit after this, then finish with 400-grit.

I decided to use Rust-Oleum Primer Sealer (249321) and finish it with Rust-Oleum Professional Grader Undercoating Spray (248656). i think it will give the fuel tank the look I'm looking for.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've never used either product. I typically go for the red oxide spray primers. For a gas tank, I think I'd be tempted to brush it rather than spray.

Have you planned on replacing the foam strips? GM still has replacements, last I knew, but I don' t think they're exactly the size of the originals. I was able to peel mine off, clean them, and re-glue them in place. I used contact cement to stick them down.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you planned on replacing the foam strips? GM still has replacements, last I knew, but I don' t think they're exactly the size of the originals. I was able to peel mine off, clean them, and re-glue them in place. I used contact cement to stick them down.
Yeah, actually placed the order for them last night on GmPartsGiant. Was just delaying the order since I had not yet sanded or painted the tank. Finally got around to it.