xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gas evaporated in the fuel tank so decided to clean the fuel tank inside and outside. I can scrape off a layer of sediment off the inside bottom of the fuel tank. I've read acid dipping fuel tanks is a bad idea. I'm trying to keep the stock fuel tank. Any ideas on how to get the inside clean enough to be re-used?

You must be registered for see images attach

Edit: I guess what I will try is 10 gallons of Zep Purple (when I get around to buying some), a flexible bristle brush, and some arm length gloves. Don't want to get any Zep on me. Stuff is somewhat harsh. Hopefully it's strong enough to remove the seidment after soaking for a couple of days and then scrubbing. If not, will probably buy an aftermarket fuel tank.

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive seen, in person, a tank-ratchet strapped to the side of a tractor tire, filled with a handful of rocks and marbles, some kind of solvent and left to rotate at an idle speed.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve personally pressure washed the inside of a tank. It wasn’t terrible to begin with but warranted cleaning.

I have zep in a parts washer, thought I’d be ok cleaning something “real quick”. Nah, my hands felt soapy for three days then peeled for a week.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gas evaporated in the fuel tank so decided to clean the fuel tank inside and outside. I can scrape off a layer of sediment off the inside bottom of the fuel tank. I've read acid dipping fuel tanks is a bad idea. I'm trying to keep the stock fuel tank. Any ideas on how to get the inside clean enough to be re-used?

Edit: I guess what I will try is 10 gallons of Zep Purple (when I get around to buying some), a flexible bristle brush, and some arm length gloves. Don't want to get any Zep on me. Stuff is somewhat harsh. Hopefully it's strong enough to remove the seidment after soaking for a couple of days and then scrubbing. If not, will probably buy an aftermarket fuel tank.
Probably too late but…

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Zep Purple cleaned the tank! Damn that stuff is impressive. I probably poured in 2.5 gallons full strength. Let it soak maybe five days (?), occasionally tipping the tank side to side to slosh it around.

Now that that's done, scrubbing the entire exterior of the tank with steel wool to strip the old paint off. Elbow greasin' like crazy.