xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the pinion yoke installed with crush sleeve. Took me wasting two crush sleeves before I got the technique and tools down (correct combination of extension length, socket length, etc.). Thankfully I had four total crush sleeves to work with.

Got the pinion torque to turn to 15 in. lb. Spec is 15-25 in. lb. (depending on which service manual you go by, i.e., GMT400, GMT800), so I'm right where I want it to be. I feel pretty confident now on doing the rear pinion yoke when it comes time to do it.

I have to wait for a shim washer to come in for the side axle shaft. Then I should be able to put it all together. Then I can start working on assembling the transfer case.

Last edited:

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look into alternatives. Improvise or pay someone else for the work.

If you find one on eBay, it's usually not even priced close to the cost of buying one new. They are usually bargains because the sellers buy them in auctions at a fraction of the cost the dealership paid for them. If you buy them new directly from GM Tools and Equipment, you will pay even more than those on eBay (usually).

Are they expensive? Yes. The reason they are expensive is because they are designed to accomplish specific tasks, and they actually work. They are usually made in America of quality material, unlike Chinese "specialty" tools which may break even during the first attempt at performing a job. They also perform the task in the least amount of time. For dealership techs, this is important because they work flat rate, and their time is their money.

I can say unequivocally that these tools have saved money, headache, and frustration. I don't regret buying a single one of them.
Bread, ring gear bolt and hammer did the trick

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you finish your diff and get it back in?
Na...I have to take it back apart — after sealing the case halves with sealant — so I'm going to procrastinate as long as I can. Cause cleaning off sealant is annoying.

I've been busy scanning my entire service manual so I can have it on my laptop as a PDF whenever I need to take it into the garage to work on the truck. Way more convenient, and I don't have to worry about ripping or dirtying pages.

I was also working on engine harness. Basically replaced entire AC compressor clutch circuit and entire MAF sensor circuit so there is no splicing. Then, decided to take apart the firewall connectors so I can re-seal them with electrical grade silicon sealant, which I should be doing in a week or so. Decided to buy some new foam for the foam gaskets around the firewall connectors.

The ones I made are on the left; the old ones are on the right. Came out pretty good.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Will get back to the front differential eventually but I'm tired of working on it at the moment.