Writeup: Intake Resonator Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Yep I sure do!

I'm confused....why in the world would you take the lid off to the air filter housing? (Vortec engine question only)

Essentially the stock system is a cold air intake which pulls cooler air from the fender which then increases performance. But by removing the cover, instead you are now pulling hot air into your engine and decreasing performance. I could understand if the stock air filter housing was restrictive, but after looking at it, it really doesn't seem that restrictive at all compared to most cars I've seen. Are you trying to increase gas mileage with the hot air entering the engine instead of cold air?

Honest question, just trying to learn.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, thanks for the writeup.

I just ran to Home Depot and did the silencer mod myself. I definitely noticed a change in the tone of the exhaust. Barely noticeable until you really mash on the gas, but it sounds good. The increase in performance is very slight, but noticeable if you drive aggressively.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm confused....why in the world would you take the lid off to the air filter housing? (Vortec engine question only)

Essentially the stock system is a cold air intake which pulls cooler air from the fender which then increases performance. But by removing the cover, instead you are now pulling hot air into your engine and decreasing performance. I could understand if the stock air filter housing was restrictive, but after looking at it, it really doesn't seem that restrictive at all compared to most cars I've seen. Are you trying to increase gas mileage with the hot air entering the engine instead of cold air?

Honest question, just trying to learn.

Well... Here (in the Pacific NW) it's almost always cool/dense/sea level air. I'm not aiming for MPG's just the sound/possible HP increase.

I'm glad you like it!

-Truckin-

Smoove

Reaction score
That was too quick and easy. Since I am still in the process of a tranny swap I can say a performance increase.

wintimidator

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up! just did it with a pop can last night and it's a little loose but it held up to the nasty speed bumps in the UTI parking lot. Seems a bit quicker, not much change in noise until past 2000 when it gets good and loud great tone too.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can use anything that fits around and clamp it on, i used an inner tube from a tire. cut a big circle out and clamped it on years ago. Never noticed and kind of difference so the votec box is back on just because of a bit of OCD like stated earlier (lol) and never new any difference was made. mpg/seat of the pants/or hearing.

I've also changed it up a lot with having the lid on and off never seen any difference of any kind, but I play in the mud a lot so it stays on for piece of mind.

haven't removed the deal on the intake blade, to cheap to buy a new gasket.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
That can is going to cause it to leak... As far as the throttle blade, you dont have to drill , take the blade off and use a cutting wheel to cut off the difuser, then take a die grinder to grind down the rest of it flush with the throttle blade. Also taking the air filter box off is just allowing you to suck in hot air from the engine when driving rather than air forced through grill in to fender.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
That can is going to cause it to leak... As far as the throttle blade, you dont have to drill , take the blade off and use a cutting wheel to cut off the difuser, then take a die grinder to grind down the rest of it flush with the throttle blade. Also taking the air filter box off is just allowing you to suck in hot air from the engine when driving rather than air forced through grill in to fender.

Na, I ain't using a pop can.

I don't think I'm going to pull off my filter cover either, just because I have before and saw no difference.

And are there pics for this difuser grinding thing in the throttle-body? I don't follow the reasoning behind this or what exactly we are doing... (just pics of the stock versus the new would be awesome if possible)