Would you ditch this truck, do engine swap, or swap the head gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How's the voltage at the alternator post with all accessories off versus everything on (lights, blower on high, rear defroster).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I don't know about at the post, but with everything but the rear defrost on, the Obd2 was reading as low as 11.8, and with the heater blowers off, it bottomed out around 12.1.

In both cases it would suddenly jump back up to 13.2, 13.5, etc.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Taking it directly at the alternator would be more accurate. I'm not sure what the scanner is taking the reading from (the signal to the cluster gauge?) but it would rule out any issue in the circuit that the scanner is reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishsc

Reaction score
I'll do that in the morning. I'm going to keep it parked until I get the front u joints swapped and the sway bar link bushings replaced. I'm kinda scared to see what else is fubr on this front end lol.

It appears that the wheel bearings on these are not serviceable like they are on my 99 C1500.

redfishsc

Reaction score
Oh by the the way, I also finally discovered the secret to doing complex repair jobs.

Learn how to be amused and entertained by your own stupidity. Makes things a lot easier lol.

I'm going to enjoy this truck like I have all my OBS trucks. New U-joints and sway bar links coming today.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I know that feeling, because there’s been times that I rushed through something and went back over it a day or so later and then realized how screwed up I did it.

I keep thinking about updating my 94 dash to the 95-98 dash. I have bookmarked pages to walk me through the wiring, and since I have added circuits and wiring to my truck already, I’m not scared of the dash swap. I just hope to get a whole junk truck to pull from as opposed to repeated trips to the junk yard.

redfishsc

Reaction score
I'm kinda strange, I actually like the old early 90s dash. I've had two 1990 C1500s, and the only thing about it I really dislike is the unforgivably stupid whackadoodle size/shape of the radio.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I'm kinda strange, I actually like the old early 90s dash. I've had two 1990 C1500s, and the only thing about it I really dislike is the unforgivably stupid whackadoodle size/shape of the radio.

It doesn’t bother me, but my first Z71 was a 97, so I have always liked the modern dash better.

redfishsc

Reaction score
Alright guys, got the last few major things done and this truck is ready for a camping trip.

Today I swapped the sway bar end links (missing rubber bushings) and the front drive shaft U-joints. The U-joint up by the diff was really toasted. The bearing pins had knurled up the inner post, it looked quite pretty actually lol.

I won't tell you about the brand new U-joint I busted, but I will blame it on the freak that had previously done a U-joint job because he beat the hell out of the yoke with a hammer. Strike marks all over it and it's pinched in just a touch. Was really difficult to get the U-joint to press together enough to get both C-clips installed. This was also the U-joint that was hoopajooped. The one up by the transfer case was quite pristine, I nearly left it alone but did it anyhow since it was sitting in my hands ready to be done.

redfishsc

Reaction score
I'm surprised at how much smaller the oil filter is on this 4wd than on my Rwd. I had 2 of the Rwd filters on hand and was surprised that it wouldn't fit. Double checked my order to make sure I wasn't given the wrong one, but I had assumed they were the same filter.

Also, was surprised how much smaller the AC Delco filter is than the Wix I took off the Rwd Sub.

Same diameter but looked to be about an inch shorter.