Would you ditch this truck, do engine swap, or swap the head gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I'm surprised at how much smaller the oil filter is on this 4wd than on my Rwd. I had 2 of the Rwd filters on hand and was surprised that it wouldn't fit. Double checked my order to make sure I wasn't given the wrong one, but I had assumed they were the same filter.

Also, was surprised how much smaller the AC Delco filter is than the Wix I took off the Rwd Sub.

Same diameter but looked to be about an inch shorter.

I use AC Delco on mine and I have the number memorized as PF52.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Not this one. I was sold a PF1218, the main difference seemingly being the addition of an anti-drainback valve..... This is on a RWD. Is yours a 4wd?

redfishsc

Reaction score
Well now I know which Delco to buy for my other truck though since it's a 4wd :cool:

This K1500 really seems to run very well on the Rotella T6 5w40. I went with a 40wt since the dash gauge was giving me 15psi when truck idling at operating temp, using the cheap walmart 10w30.

Now it's a bit more than 20. I realize that doesn't mean oil is flowing better but the truck certainly runs smoother. Idles slick as glass

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I have a newer motor with 13k miles on it, and my buddy who built it told me to run the rotella 15-40, and so I have with a zinc additive because I have a flat tappet cam in mine, and I hold steady at 40-45 psi warm, 60 cold.

redfishsc

Reaction score
I almost put the Rotella in my 2wd Sub today but always had good results with 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum in it. Can't get a 5w40 in PP around here.

So I'm running Rotella T6 5w40 in the K1500 and PP in the 2wd.

My local Walmart stopped carrying the Valvoline Maxlife Trans fluid, which sucks, since the old 4l60e seem to shift better on it.