Worth buying 97 Burb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Maybe, but with the clear being off for a long tme, I wonder if the base coat is damaged beyond repair? I might give it a shot once everything else is up to ***** with it.
She looks clean-and since I posted my "check the carpet if it's wet"before I looked at the pictures now I'm laughing my *** off
Yeah it's been raining a lot here in Oklahoma, the carpets probably soaked, but I can handle that. Far from a deal breaker
That's what tempered glass looks like when it breaks. Just shatters, doesn't stay in a sheet like safety glass. Probably cheaper to get another barn door than to have the glass replaced ( or so a glass repair guy told me). But that looks like the biggest problem with this Burb...
Don't tell me that lol. I'll ask around, but I may just be able to glue a new one in from a junkyard or whatever. A new door with the glass will probably end up being half of the price I'll pay for this burb.
Yep, I'm still finding shards in mine after the mirror being punched through the door glass.

There's enough there to make a decent Burb from. OP got lucky.
I had to break one of the side windows in my 94 Extended cab when I locked my keys, spare keys, and my phone in my truck at the same time when the engine was running and it was raining, and 3+ years later I still find glass in the back seat area.

Good to hear that everyone here seems pretty supportive of the burb, I was a bit skeptical when I went to go and look at it, but now, thinking it over and getting some second opinions, I can't wait for it to be in my driveway. This will also be my first car with airbags and more than two doors, good stuff. Payday can't come soon enough.

Also, I get paid Wednesday and because my boss is also a Burb guy, (a 96,98, 01, 04, and a 09 burb) he gave me Thursday and Friday of next week off so I can get it and start working on it.

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to break one of the side windows in my 94 Extended cab when I locked my keys, spare keys, and my phone in my truck at the same time when the engine was running and it was raining, and 3+ years later I still find glass in the back seat area.
Try it at 50mph - it goes everywhere.
Good to hear that everyone here seems pretty supportive of the burb, I was a bit skeptical when I went to go and look at it, but now, thinking it over and getting some second opinions, I can't wait for it to be in my driveway. This will also be my first car with airbags and more than two doors, good stuff. Payday can't come soon enough.
You'll love it once you have it sorted out. They just take everything in their stride.
You'll get all the help here you need as well.
Also, I get paid Wednesday and because my boss is also a Burb guy, (a 96,98, 01, 04, and a 09 burb) he gave me Thursday and Friday of next week off so I can get it and start working on it.
The good luck continues!....

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll ask around, but I may just be able to glue a new one in from a junkyard or whatever. A new door with the glass will probably end up being half of the price I'll pay for this burb.
Pull-A-Part always seems to have about a dozen Suburbans at any given time. A complete truck/SUV door is $75. You can probably even get the same color door.

JBaker

Reaction score
Could be the fuel pump, could be the fuel pump wire harness. Could even be the fuel pump fuse. Maybe it's OUT OF GAS. Just because the pump doesn't pump, does not mean the pump is toast. (Although that's the likely situation.)

DO NOT cut a hole through the interior to access the pump. GM doesn't do this because in a roll-over collision, you don't want a ruptured fuel tank to dump 20 gallons of gasoline directly into the passenger compartment. Learn something from the Ford Pinto.

What are you waiting for? You could part it out for more than that.

My '97 K2500 pickup had a bigass rip on the driver's seat, right at the seam where the seat bottom and the seat side come together--right where all the wear happens as the driver slides in and out of the truck.

$200 at the upholstery shop fixed it so well I can hardly tell it was ever ripped. They found a nearly-perfect match for color and texture. I suppose the price would have been a bit more since I removed the seat for them--I just dropped off the damaged seat instead of leaving the entire truck. It was a pain in the ass, as two of the four bolts that hold the seat to the vehicle were seized and broke. But that's a rust-belt problem that perhaps you wouldn't have to deal with.

It runs for ~15 seconds. Should be able to drop it into gear, make sure the trans engages reverse. Re-fuel, re-start, drop it into Drive.

Is the brake pedal nice 'n' firm? A few fifteen-second bursts of engine vacuum should have the power booster working.

Re-fuel and re-start the engine. Verify the Power Steering works. Have someone watch the front wheels and steering linkage, while you swing the steering wheel. Look for play in the steering mechanism. The rag joint is an epidemic problem.

Look at the upper control arm bushings. Also an epidemic problem.

The fuel injector "spider" is a high-failure item. So are the intake gaskets.

Check the undercarriage for excessive rust.

$800? If I wanted a 2WD 'Burban, I wouldn't even test it while the owner watched. You might manage to get the fuel pump running, or accidently fix something else, and he'd raise the price. Grab it. Before he sells it to someone else.
Yeah I’ve had 2 fuel pumps go out over the years. $40 part and a day labor. Worth rescuing for sure

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
800 is CHEAP. I'd be all over it. The things I personally do not like about 1500's are the transmissions..HATE THE 4L60E! But that can be addressed. Not a deal breaker at all. Barn doors!? Even better. And if youre looking to customize it, Lifting OR Lowering would be sweet.
I hate the 4L60E too, but in my 2wd 1500 van it was easy enough to remedy. It went through the stock 60E in 38K and a built 4L65E in 40K. Custom modified the trans crossmember and put a 4L85E into its place. A little wiring change, a PCM reflash, replumbed the coolers and away it went. 4L85E has been in there since 2013.

You must be registered for see images attach