Wolf in sheep's clothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kuma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funnel web spider.
You must be registered for see images

Kuma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got all my pieces cut, hopefully my lines are right.

Shift knob... Waiting for it to cure.

Kuma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ I know this is my build, but damn dude, that's a sick truck. I read a little of your build thread earlier... Will definitely finish reading that and your one in the bagged section when I get a chance.

I checked the locust one, and it was fully cured, so I took them out of their molds... IDK what happened, but they got glazed over and lost their colors. Might have been moisture, because the rain came before I was finished... Guess I'll keep practicing and trying new techniques.

If you can't tell, the spider is smaller and feels a lot better in my hand... My buddy with Sasquatch hands likes the bigger one. The spider diameter is aprox 2-1/4" weighing 4.90oz and the locust is just a little over 2-1/2" at 6.55oz

Last edited:

Kuma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally finished sewing the dash. Next I need to pull it, glue it down and fit the vents. I'm debating on cutting a hole out of the airbag cover and wrapping it separately or putting it back on and deleting it all together. Already took out the airbag so its a purely aesthetic choice.

Can't forget to pop the vin tag off.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Isn't doing a dash like that fun? Looks good so far!
I did one similar for a Pantera quite a while ago. 'Pre-digital' a while ago! There were 37 individual pieces. And every seam had to be square to each other & to fit on an edge. In leather! Measure/fit, measure/fit, measure /fit!
22 hours from removal to install. I don't want to do another! Well...if I HAVE to! But there better be some good dinero involved!
Did an E-type Jag dash in one piece of leather. One shot. 4 hours of prep & a lotta suckin' wind before I got down to the actual recover. But, looked at it, (& looked & looked) & thought about where I had to stretch or shrink in the right spots & laid it down once. Lots of test fitting. That was cake compared to the Pantera!
And I'll never work on another Jag! Ever! Did three. That's enough.

Kuma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't doing a dash like that fun? Looks good so far!
I did one similar for a Pantera quite a while ago. 'Pre-digital' a while ago! There were 37 individual pieces. And every seam had to be square to each other & to fit on an edge. In leather! Measure/fit, measure/fit, measure /fit!
22 hours from removal to install. I don't want to do another! Well...if I HAVE to! But there better be some good dinero involved!
Did an E-type Jag dash in one piece of leather. One shot. 4 hours of prep & a lotta suckin' wind before I got down to the actual recover. But, looked at it, (& looked & looked) & thought about where I had to stretch or shrink in the right spots & laid it down once. Lots of test fitting. That was cake compared to the Pantera!
And I'll never work on another Jag! Ever! Did three. That's enough.

thanks man! Yeah, it's been a pain so far. when I first decided I was going to do it I thought I could do one piece like my buddy and I did the ranger. only reason I can see myself doing another dash like this because I didn't get this perfect by a long shot... but I'm not going to point out the flaws and I'm sure you can see a few in the pics... but not terrible for my first dash.

what adhesive do you recommend for the edges? I used hot glue on the ranger dash, and although it's held up for 5yrs, I don't think it's right.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
'Automotive Trim Adhesive'. 3M. The stuff in the black tube. 2 types. Yellow or black glue. The black usually runs a couple of bucks more than the yellow per tube.
Spread a squiggly line on the dash & the vinyl, slap them together, spread the glue out by squeezing & rubbing the parts with finger pressure, then pull them apart. Do this fairly quick. This is just to make sure both parts have an even coat of glue. Let the glue almost dry before sticking it together for good.

Kuma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You forgot to mention that it's the messiest stuff ever lol. Well I laid it down and it laid down smooth, but my center line got all messed up when I put the the airbag cover in, and I forgot to trim the excess near my seams and it bugged the crap out of me. So I pulled it back up. I tried scraping off the old adhesive but it didn't really work. So I padded the dash with 1/4" foam. It helped, but it still looks lumpy in some places. Currently got it on the local nissan forum to trade another dash + $100, if someone wants it I'll use theirs to retry... If not I'll rock it until I can afford to buy another dash and supplies.

I don't have sewlow's precision yet, but my visible stitches aren't too bad I think.