wires called coming out of distributor cap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the wires go to and are called coming out of the back of distributor cap through a square notch? (‘98 k2500-5.7) I’m still having problems with truck starting (hasn’t started the past 10 days-trying daily). There is a bushing that fits in the notch that wires run through that seems to have deteriorated. I’m thinking moisture maybe coming through here. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperTramp

Reaction score
They are the only wires (small gauge-3, I think) coming out of the back of the cap. I’m doing my best to diagnose the problem of engine not starting. Thanks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's the only wired device inside the Vortec cap - cam position sensor. If you suspect moisture is an issue you can remove the cap and rotor, spray some WD40 inside the cap and don't overlook the underside of the rotor, and also spray some down in the body of the distributor and soak it back up with paper towels. If that doesn't get it starting then your issues are elsewhere. Check spark, check fuel pressure; lots of info on the net about troubleshooting a no-start.

Be careful with the cap screws as it's easy to damage the tabs on the distributor body; they're just plastic...and they're likely already cracked. If they break, you can get by with a strong zip tie looped around the cap and distributor body.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's the only wired device inside the Vortec cap - cam position sensor. If you suspect moisture is an issue you can remove the cap and rotor, spray some WD40 inside the cap and don't overlook the underside of the rotor, and also spray some down in the body of the distributor and soak it back up with paper towels. If that doesn't get it starting then your issues are elsewhere. Check spark, check fuel pressure; lots of info on the net about troubleshooting a no-start.

Be careful with the cap screws as it's easy to damage the tabs on the distributor body; they're just plastic...and they're likely already cracked. If they break, you can get by with a strong zip tie looped around the cap and distributor body.

Richard

SuperTramp

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED-thank you for all your suggestions. Here it is/ the wires coming through the notch in the distributor cap located on the side closet to the firewall, going to what I was told was the cam position sensor, were getting wet. I removed the cap, disconnected the plug and used silicone to add a watertight seal where the wires went into the plug. I haven’t had a problem since. Knock on wood