Wipers won’t shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Not sure if my problem relates, but occassionally the wipers will stay on for a while when using the intermittents. Probably another 10 swipes then they turn off. Doesn't do it all the time though. I wonder if its something in the steering column?
That's usually the module and its bad solder joints. I had the same issue in my 03 Blazer. Reflowed all the major solder points on the control board a couple months ago, it hasn't been a problem since.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Man, this sure feels like the "early pulse module under the dash" situation but I would think a 1990 GMT400 is too new for that - it's a carryover squarebody part I've seen on early 400's. Spend a few minutes checking for it anyway. It'll be near the column, and has a heat sink on it (finned aluminum chunk.) If it's there, and you've converted to the 1991-up wiper motor, you'll absolutely need to remove the old pulse module. Just unplug it, and plug the two harness connectors there together. In other words, the old style module is in-line in the harness.

Richard

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1990 Chevy truck with intermittent wipes. My wipers run all the time even with the switch turned off and no keys in the ignition. Theres no park or intermittent control either. It run at low speed all time .The only thing I can do is go from low speed to high speed. Without the ignition on. I know the gray is low speed and purple is high speed that goes into the wiper motor. The black wire the goes into the motor is a good ground because a checked it with a power probe. There’s a white wire that goes into the wiper motor I believe is a keyed ignition and that is hot all the time even with ignition off and the wiper switch turned off. There is a orange wire the goes into the motor that is neither a hot or ground. What does the orange wire do. It looks like it runs to the wiper switch harness under the steering column and loop to pink wire that does to the wiper washer pump. I upgraded from wiper motor with the external square wiper module and upgrade to the newer internal u style wiper module. I tried 2 different wiper motors with the u shaped newer module and no change. I also tried 2 new wiper switches and that didn’t work either. Has any else had a problem with the wipers not shutting off with the key off and wiper switch turned off. Or know what the orange wire is supposed to do.
The only way to turn off the wipers is to unplug the harness that goes into the motor.
You must be registered for see images attach

My 98 did the same thing as well as my 94 S10 Blazer. I just bought another whole unit from Auto Zone. Not real expensive plus it solves the problem. Make sure you get the one that includes the control board.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot to say to buy the later design and bypass the pulse unit. Fortunately mine was the later design.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going back to my wiper problem. When my wipers are on all the time with the switch turned off and keys out of the ignition. After replacing 2 wiper motors with modules and 2 wiper switches. Has anyone had this problem before or know what else to look for.
I had a similar issue with another vehicle and older GM product. It turned out to be two things, 1) a faulty ignition switch that the key controls along with a bad module. Mine was on a 71 Skylark with intermitting wipers. Mine had the pulse module separate from the wiper motor as described above. You may be having the same two issues I had. I found it when the wipers started acting up. I replaced the module but the problem came right back. I was told by someone wiser than me to replace the ignition switch and the problem was solved. I don't know if this is your issue, but it could be. It could also be the ignition switch is out of adjustment due to loose screws, if your truck has the adjustable style. They may have done away with that after '87. Oh, I also had issues with my battery dying when the car sat over the weekend right before the wiper problem.