Wipers won’t shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1990 Chevy truck with intermittent wipes. My wipers run all the time even with the switch turned off and no keys in the ignition. Theres no park or intermittent control either. It run at low speed all time .The only thing I can do is go from low speed to high speed. Without the ignition on. I know the gray is low speed and purple is high speed that goes into the wiper motor. The black wire the goes into the motor is a good ground because a checked it with a power probe. There’s a white wire that goes into the wiper motor I believe is a keyed ignition and that is hot all the time even with ignition off and the wiper switch turned off. There is a orange wire the goes into the motor that is neither a hot or ground. What does the orange wire do. It looks like it runs to the wiper switch harness under the steering column and loop to pink wire that does to the wiper washer pump. I upgraded from wiper motor with the external square wiper module and upgrade to the newer internal u style wiper module. I tried 2 different wiper motors with the u shaped newer module and no change. I also tried 2 new wiper switches and that didn’t work either. Has any else had a problem with the wipers not shutting off with the key off and wiper switch turned off. Or know what the orange wire is supposed to do.
The only way to turn off the wipers is to unplug the harness that goes into the motor.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Uhhh..
See now I'm not one of the most technologically savvy members here, but what I did & recommend is that you take that old style brick and fix it by putting it in the trash. They are rebuildable but meh. Then go to a treasure yard and get a newer style motor, they started in 91 or 92 but I prefer '96 and up. Take the time to take those ~T25 screws out of the board, check the pins for obvious corrosion and stuff. If it checks out, slam it together and make off with the wiper motor. If not, look for a donor board or wiper motor.

Anyway, once you find a donor motor, it's a direct swap.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
He's already using the new style...

The orange wire is for the wash pump. For some reason GM thought it needed to run inside to that loop before going right back out to the actual pump motor instead of going directly from the module to the pump. The white wire should be ignition power only in Accessory and Run. Purple: high, gray: delay/low/wash (it's a signal wire, the module senses the resistance of the switch to determine the action to perform). But none of them should be hot with the ignition off.

Now for diag:

is the wiper system the only thing staying on, or do you also have usage of the power windows and the radio? They're on the same circuit after the ignition switch.

Have you pulled the wiper fuse from the fuse box and possibly reinserted it to the wrong adjacent slot? The wiper motor and the switch are fed from the same fuse.

One thing I'm not quite understanding is that even with power on the white wire, the only reason the motor should run is if there's also a signal on the gray wire. Switch off, obviously it shouldn't run. If you get the hot at all times issue figured, I'd disconnect the gray wire from the module and test if the motor still runs. If so, you have a faulty wiper module, the relay in it is staying engaged. If not, you may have a faulty switch.

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish it were as simple as a fuse. Unfortunately the fuse only goes in one way. I first disconnected just the white wire and it turns the wipers off. Then put it back in and they start running again. After that I disconnect the gray wire and it stops the wipers. Hook it back up and it also starts running again.It’s really frustrating that it would be the wiper switch because I have already tried 2 standard motor wiper switches. I guess I could try it again but use an ACdelco D6336D. But I don’t think that will work. I could also replace the wiper motors with module but I have already tried 2 new ones. I then also checked the orange wire that come out of the wiper motor that loops to the washer pump. Still no power and then I tried turning the lever on the wiper switch to washer. Still no power. Do you or does anyone else have any other ideas. I just don’t wanted to keep replacing parts.

NickP

Reaction score
Subscribed. Once I activate my wipers they wont go off unless I turn the ignition off. I have yet to open the hood and start peeking around at the wiring, which is not my strong suit. Luckily it rains about 3X a year here in San Diego.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That's generally indicative of a failing wiper module, not wiring. You can actually remove the controller circuit board and "touch up" the solder joints on it, sometimes that will fix the problem entirely.

NickP

Reaction score
That's generally indicative of a failing wiper module, not wiring. You can actually remove the controller circuit board and "touch up" the solder joints on it, sometimes that will fix the problem entirely.

Thanks for the tip; I hope I can figure that out....

fastfreddys454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going back to my wiper problem. When my wipers are on all the time with the switch turned off and keys out of the ignition. After replacing 2 wiper motors with modules and 2 wiper switches. Has anyone had this problem before or know what else to look for.

Notjoken

Reaction score
Somewhere the white wire is communicating with a "battery hot" wire. Either shorted together or a splice. Think back to when it started acting wrong and what you were doing to the truck in the same time frame.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if my problem relates, but occassionally the wipers will stay on for a while when using the intermittents. Probably another 10 swipes then they turn off. Doesn't do it all the time though. I wonder if its something in the steering column?