WIPER FLUID WON'T PUMP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Darn, my wiper fluid pump won't work all of a sudden (yes it has lots of fluid in it). Can't find a fuse for it. Put a multi-meter on it and looks like the power is not getting to the pumps. Any amazing solutions??? or do I have to chase the connections all the way back to the switch which is in the steering column so may be impossible to find??? I know this is in the towing section but I don't know where else to post, although everything I do to the Burb is for towing.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Darn, my wiper fluid pump won't work all of a sudden (yes it has lots of fluid in it). Can't find a fuse for it. Put a multi-meter on it and looks like the power is not getting to the pumps. Any amazing solutions??? or do I have to chase the connections all the way back to the switch which is in the steering column so may be impossible to find??? I know this is in the towing section but I don't know where else to post, although everything I do to the Burb is for towing.
I'd probably move it to electrical or the engine section, "if its under the hood it goes here."

Sounds like you blew a fuse or broke a wire somewhere, easiest thing is figure out which fuse, its gotta have one I imagine. If the fuse is good then you're basically stuck tracing wires.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Have you checked both fuse boxes? There's the one under the hood, and the one on the side of the dash on the driver's side. How's the wiring/connector look right there at the pump?

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Google-Fu tells me it should be the #11 fuse on the interior panel - I'm not looking at/referring to an actual manual though so don't quote me on that.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How's your wiper motor circuit board looking? If it's original and you haven't re-soldered the pins where the socket attaches to the circuit board, do that first. Trust me. :D

Richard

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How's your wiper motor circuit board looking? If it's original and you haven't re-soldered the pins where the socket attaches to the circuit board, do that first. Trust me. :D

Richard
Does the wiper motor board run the washer pump too? I would've thought they would both have their own boards & fuses?

I have seen a few threads about re-soldering wiper boards though, just never in relation to a pump/washer issue.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So are you sure that the pump is not working? My washers quit working a little while back. After looking over the system, I realized That the pump was working, but I wasnt getting any fluid out of the tank. After taking everything apart, I found that the plastic line that comes up from the bottom of the tank was broken. The line is hard plastic and as old as these trucks are, it gets brittle and brakes, of thats what mine did anyway. I ended up replacing it with a small rubber hose.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does the wiper motor board run the washer pump too? I would've thought they would both have their own boards & fuses?

I have seen a few threads about re-soldering wiper boards though, just never in relation to a pump/washer issue.
Been quite a while since I've battled a no-power-to-the-pump issue, more than 10 years now :D but my vague memory (without looking at the wiring diagrams) says power to the pump comes through the wiper motor. If I'm wrong I'll fully accept it and just look silly here for mentioning it, LOL.. at any rate the vague memory tells me the ground issue that affects wiper operation also can affect washer pump operation. Again, the very first joint that generally fails at the harness socket is the ground pin.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been quite a while since I've battled a no-power-to-the-pump issue, more than 10 years now :D but my vague memory (without looking at the wiring diagrams) says power to the pump comes through the wiper motor.
Washer power absolutely comes through the wiper board on my '92 and '93 Luminas.

Not sure about GMT400, but it seems likely.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Washer power absolutely comes through the wiper board on my '92 and '93 Luminas.

Not sure about GMT400, but it seems likely.
I would imagine it does since something has to tell the wipers to cycle when you hit the washer - just saying :33: