Wiper Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I had the typical problem with my wiper system this weekend. Washer wasn't squirting and the wipers would park themselves in a different position every time they stopped. After doing some reading I quickly realized it was the control board and most suggested buying a new one. I came across one video that shows the problem on the board as being cold solder joints where the wiring connector is soldered to the board. He was right! I unplugged the cable and removed the three little torx screws on the front of the wiper motor. The cover then comes off to expose the board and the board just slides straight out. I reflowed the half dozen solder joints of the connector and reinstalled. This fixed both the squirting and parking problem. Took maybe 30 min total. Just thought I'd pass it along.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to about 20 years ago ;) :D

Just messin' with ya. This information is new to everyone at some point. It will remain helpful no matter how long it's been around, as long as these trucks are still on the road.

The main reason behind this failure is that solder is only a good electrical connection, not a physical one - vibration and heat cycles over time cause that connector to get broken joints especially since the harness is hanging from the socket. The edgemost pin that breaks first is on the ground plane of the circuit board, and that's all it takes for it to go completely nuts.

You went my preferred route by fixing the original board. I believe it is higher quality than any of the modern replacements.

Richard

Kansas Corey

Reaction score
all right guys - need a little troubleshooting help here please... 1999 GMC Suburban K1500 SLE (4X4 with 5.7L Vortec)

I've read more threads than I can count about re-soldering or replacing the pulse module control board. My symptoms: intermittent wipers would stop about 1/2 way on the down stroke and then I'd have to bump the "mist" direction on the stalk to get them to park.

So, I pulled the old board and did not see any broken solder joints. Having said that, I did take a soldering iron to most of them just in case. No luck except now the wipers stuttering their way down to park when turned off (this is slightly worse than before).

I then bought a new replacement board ACDelco part # 19254082 that I installed. Imagine my surprise when the issues got worse. With the new board installed, I had no spray, no intermittent wipers, and now when I tuned the switch off, the wipers continued to run.

Any thoughts on next trouble shooting steps please?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would take an ohm meter to the wires that run from the connector . The way I would do that would be to connect to each end of the wire (controller end and wherever it goes ) and then wiggle the wire. Your mechanical connection would need to be excellent and your meter should peg as if shorted when connected to either end of the wire. If you then wiggle the wire and the meter moves you have just located your problem.

Somewhere in there you most likely have a broken wire or a bad ground and it is most likely related to the edgemost pin (the one that drives the wipers crazy ) referred to in the first post. The fact that it hasn't quit completely likely means that it reacts to bumps and/or vibrations. My guess is that you will find it near the connector. Please report the outcome to this thread when you find it.

One other possibility is that you overheated a component when re flowing the solder joints but that is unlikely.

Kansas Corey

Reaction score
Thanks Eveready - will dig into it this weekend assuming that we get a break in the rain as planned.

I quickly checked the 2 x ground straps to firewall / engine block / frame last night and they're good shape.

I'm now very interested in looking into the connector itself as you suggested - will start with the edgemost pin mentioned by someotherguy

The edgemost pin that breaks first is on the ground plane of the circuit board, and that's all it takes for it to go completely nuts. Richard

Last edited:

Kansas Corey

Reaction score
Just in case anyone is checking in - not much of an update just yet. Between daylight hours (no available garage right now), work, family, and rain... no work has been done. Here's the odd thing. I went to drive to work on Friday and it was raining. Decided that I didn't have a choice, going to have to run the wipers on low or high the entire trip, but then it happened --> they started working 100% completely normal.

Over the weekend and again this morning, I've driven in both rain & dry running/testing the wipers consistently and they are functioning without any issues... Go figure.

I'm still going to pull everything apart again soon and trying to test, clean, and reassemble as go. I'll report back with any updates.