Wiper arms with cowl hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys is there a way to install passenger wiper arm on with the cowl hood? It never really rains down here in the valley and I removed wipers but its been raining for the past month and I need them now. Also is there any other wiper arms that work on gmt400 that will sit further down? That's why I removed mine they looked ugly cause they sat so high on the windshield. They were like a 2" higher then the cowl hood. Sucked!!!

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm......never really thought about that. I still have mine but it is not possible to lift the arm up high enough with the hood on. I think you may be SOL. Just roll with the drivers side and a lot of Rain X for rainy days.

This is all the clearance I have.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I think I am SOL. I have been rolling with the driver side but still cant see crap out of pass windshield. Forgot about rain x , I wonder how good it works? Thanks for you input. I wish I could move arms down enough at least 1/8 " above wiper cowl. Then I wouldn't mind having wipers but dam I hate the gmt400 wipers sitting so high.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have to open my cowl hood to get that wiper on.
Forget what year the break is, but the newer style arms have a stronger spring which keeps the blade against the glass better.
These trucks have an 18" blade spec'd. I use 19" blades. They come up just to the top of the glass/edge of the roofline.
You can grind off the tab on the post to allow the blades to sit lower, but then they don't sweep as far up.
When the ole man had cabs, instead of messing with the wiper transmission, they'd remove that tab so that they could place the wiper where it sat the best. West Coast rainforest here. Wipers get used a LOT! I change mine 3-4X a year. Neither myself nor the ole man have ever had the rest of the teeth on the post strip due to that tab being ground off.
But, in areas where there is lots of snowfall, don't know if I'd recommend that if the blades are being used to wipe off a large accumulation. IIRC, you're in Cali. Shouldn't be a prob.

You must be registered for see images attach

I used a mini angle grinder with a cone tip.

You must be registered for see images attach

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im from the lower part of texas sewlow and there is hardly never any rain and never snow. I thought if I grind off that wiper tab the wiper would just spin on the shaft. But since you said it worked for you guys, that's awesome. Thanks

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
NP!
I hate how the wipers sit so high too. No rain? No wipers.
Had a cop roust me about that once. Summertime.
"Hey, no wipers! That's a safety issue!"
"Is it raining? Is there a forecast for rain?"
"Well...no."
"So what's the prob?"
"Smartass!"

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good one sewlow!! Cops around here mess with everyone. They break there necks looking at my truck

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest way to install/remove passenger side wiper arm with cowl hood - turn wipers on, then turn key off as wiper is high up on the windshield.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good one sewlow!! Cops around here mess with everyone. They break there necks looking at my truck

When I lived in ATL (Austell, but worked in L5P) I got hassled on such a regular basis I had to find other ways in and out of my neighborhood. Cobb County cops were actually setting up roadblocks on the main road (Six Flags Drive) during morning freaking rush hour! Checking everybody's seatbelt, registration sticker, etc. as they waved them through the block. They handed out tint tickets to me like candy. Back then they were about $53 so just paid them, F it, was making good money and didn't want to peel my tint. Here in TX I think the tint ticket is something recoculous like $250...haven't got one here but my current tint is legal. TX tint laws are a little more relaxed than GA but the fines are much higher.

Richard