winter wheeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For some of us the time of year for some snow wheeling will be here soon. So I am asking for suggestions and tips for safe winter wheeling. I am in upstate NY and I hear they get a little bit of snow over here, some lake effect or something:hmm:

Should I focus on recovery gear and parts? Such as a Hi-lift jack, winch, good straps? I was planning on gears and locker soon, but if I will be better served with sticking to my current gears and tires and adding something else I will do that.

Would extra lighting be helpful in snowy conditions?

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I love snow wheeling, especially at night with freshly fallen snow. Somehow, it just seems magical.

Recovery gear is a must. Add a good shovel to your list.
Also a must is survival gear. This includes food, blankets, water, clothes, etc...
For your truck, include a set of tire chains or stud your tires. A locker is not the best choice in the snow. An LSD is better. And extra lighting is always a good thing to have.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also live in upstate ny and the snowfall is mean up here. My problem is I can't ever find anywhere good to wheel (legally) that is. Anyways recovery gear is an absolute must no matter the type of wheeling. Like previous poster mentioned survival gear is a must, in the dead of winter it can get well below freezing especially with wind chill. A winch is also a great idea if you wheel a lot, especially if you wheel solo.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Winter wheeling is awesome. Things I generally keep in the truck during the winter, not just for wheeling but in case I find myself in a ditch. Recovery gear (straps, shackles etc...) A good shovel. A bag of sand is always good to have in case you need traction. A piece of 2x6 wood. Anything really to place under the tire getting traction to stop from sinking further in the snow. Just be careful you don't throw it. Anti-freeze and other fluids. Coveralls, extra boots, gloves etc. I also keep a small bag of goodies which includes everything I would need in case I had to spend a night in the truck in below zero temps. Always pack like you are going to be "camping" out for a few days cause you never know. Also if you're able to, bring spare parts of things you know are your weak points (CV shaft, U-Joints, Tie rods, etc.) Lastly, cell and charger. Its best to admit defeat and call for help sometimes.

If you're wheeling,
Always bring at least one other truck that is able(has the balls) to pull yours. I've pulled my 99' Sub out of a 4' drift after I broke a CV shaft trying to drive out of it with a 4 banger S-10 Blazer, a lot of digging and a few hours . I'm surprised the Blazer even broke it free. Good luck sir and get some pics for us when you go out. Ill throw in some pics from my last winter trip to Rausch Creek, PA in -20 windchill just for fun...

You must be registered for see images

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
2 years ago I stole a trick from my rock crawling friend and put bright white led clearence lights in my fenderwells..dont have to use them often but if you're doing any kind of wheeling at night, it helps light up the travel of your tires. If you run anywhere on ridges or hills like I do, it does actually help quite a bit.