Window sweep on Chevy? Watch this guy saved me a lot of time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before my very informative reply was clowned by a new guy, causing my response to him to get deleted, my explanation of the advice was to avoid spraying WD40 (or similar products) on painted areas because it can cause fisheyes on any future paint work. Anybody who doesn't believe this is welcome to look it up. :)

Richard

Fish eyes are a pain to deal with. I've only painted a hood and a fender, DIY type of work...but have a little more knowledge on finishes in general in wood and metal (lacquer, oil, acrylic, 2k urethane basecoat/clearcoat, etc.) and so I am aware of them. My friend that does body work has some stories where he lost literally a week's worth of work from fish eyes showing up on the clear final coat of a complete repaint job. It happens and it's a real problem from wax, sillicone and oil contaminations.

I really like this site and have learned a lot, but sometimes simple statements get blown out of proportion by folks. Hats off to Moderators for keeping everything in order. :cool:
I've had quite a few paint jobs ruined by stuff being sprayed at the other end of the shop when I painted in a cross draft booth. pb blaster etc. Painting one in a garage where there had been a bunch of mechanical stuff done doesn't always work well either.

As far as the belt molding I always preferred to at least loosen up the mirror. While you have the molding bowed up and jacking around getting the rear tucked in you risk marking the molding and it's exposed once you get the molding in position. Sometimes that matters especially to a customer that paid you to install new ones.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fish eyes are a pain to deal with. I've only painted a hood and a fender, DIY type of work...but have a little more knowledge on finishes in general in wood and metal (lacquer, oil, acrylic, 2k urethane basecoat/clearcoat, etc.) and so I am aware of them. My friend that does body work has some stories where he lost literally a week's worth of work from fish eyes showing up on the clear final coat of a complete repaint job. It happens and it's a real problem from wax, sillicone and oil contaminations.

I really like this site and have learned a lot, but sometimes simple statements get blown out of proportion by folks. Hats off to Moderators for keeping everything in order. :cool:

My buddy posted on here and df2x4 was all upset and siding with the guy who was trolling me on here,when he seen my buddy leave his reply saying he has custom paint with air brush done and did the method that everyone else does he banned his account thinking it was my account, sad he still is a staff member…
Not cool… ps a little lubricant does not even go near the paint unless you really use a lot and it helped alot of people out and everyone else loves this guys video including me so why is everyone ragging on the idea of saving a big pain and removing the mirror and panel if you don’t like it don’t leave negative reply’s including df2x4 please thanks

Last edited:

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had quite a few paint jobs ruined by stuff being sprayed at the other end of the shop when I painted in a cross draft booth. pb blaster etc. Painting one in a garage where there had been a bunch of mechanical stuff done doesn't always work well either.

As far as the belt molding I always preferred to at least loosen up the mirror. While you have the molding bowed up and jacking around getting the rear tucked in you risk marking the molding and it's exposed once you get the molding in position. Sometimes that matters especially to a customer that paid you to install new ones.
You have to remove the panel to get access to the mirror on the older chevys not worth the pain especially if you have a 30 year old paint job anyways and if you were like my buddy with custom paint he was just careful when doing it and his paint is mint

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy posted on here and df2x4 was all upset and siding with the guy who was trolling me on here,when he seen my buddy leave his reply saying he has custom paint with air brush done and did the method that everyone else does he banned his account thinking it was my account, sad he still is a staff member…
Not cool… ps a little lubricant does not even go near the paint unless you really use a lot and it helped alot of people out and everyone else loves this guys video including me so why is everyone ragging on the idea of saving a big pain and removing the mirror and panel if you don’t like it don’t leave negative reply’s including df2x4 please thanks
Need transparency on **** like this - or this forum will turn into Facebook faster than you can say GMT400.

What actually happened here? What was said? What warranted a ban? Was there actually a ban? What warrants mods straight up deleting posts rather than warning a user and leaving them up to warn others, so the same thing isn't repeated?

How do we know (if someone was actually banned) what they were banned for - and how we can avoid doing that in the future? Maybe a weekly or monthly "Enforcement Transparency" thread in the Lounge?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Need transparency on **** like this - or this forum will turn into Facebook faster than you can say GMT400.

Here is what happened in a nutshell. Someotherguy made his initial comment in this thread regarding WD-40 on painted surfaces (which is still up). Countryboy17 got defensive, someotherguy fired back, repeat. I deleted everything in that exchange and posted a warning in this thread to keep it civil. No bans, no direct warnings, nothing else. A few hours later countryboy17 is back and has a made a post similar to what started the argument in the first place, ignoring the fact that I removed that post previously and posted the open warning in the thread. I removed that post and warned him directly through the mod tools, and posted another warning in the thread to keep it civil. Shortly after that there's a new account that was just created today (liftedgmt400) posting in the thread bashing me for that decision, and multiple reports from countryboy17 requesting that I be "fired." I check the IP address of the new account and it matches countryboy17s. An admin saw the thread at that point (staff members can still see deleted content as well) and banned the new account based on the suspicion (which I shared) that they were the same person. I can't ban accounts for anything other than spam, mods don't have that ability.

What warrants mods straight up deleting posts rather than warning a user and leaving them up to warn others, so the same thing isn't repeated?

Insults/trash talk or inappropriate content (NSFW stuff for example) are basically the only things that I delete besides spam.

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It worked for him, but I`m not sure with other mirrors, Mine look like they're pinching the sweep.
Here is what happened in a nutshell. Someotherguy made his initial comment in this thread regarding WD-40 on painted surfaces (which is still up). Countryboy17 got defensive, someotherguy fired back, repeat. I deleted everything in that exchange and posted a warning in this thread to keep it civil. No bans, no direct warnings, nothing else. A few hours later countryboy17 is back and has a made a post similar to what started the argument in the first place, ignoring the fact that I removed that post previously and posted the open warning in the thread. I removed that post and warned him directly through the mod tools, and posted another warning in the thread to keep it civil. Shortly after that there's a new account that was just created today (liftedgmt400) posting in the thread bashing me for that decision, and multiple reports from countryboy17 requesting that I be "fired." I check the IP address of the new account and it matches countryboy17s. An admin saw the thread at that point (staff members can still see deleted content as well) and banned the new account based on the suspicion (which I shared) that they were the same person. I can't ban accounts for anything other than spam, mods don't have that ability.

Insults/trash talk or inappropriate content (NSFW stuff for example) are basically the only things that I delete besides spam.
Liftedgmt400 is my roommate and he left a comment about how his custom paint was fine from using wd-40 and you clearly are siding with the troll… not cool… I give up on this thread take care bud ps wd-40 does not damage any paint

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have to remove the panel to get access to the mirror on the older chevys not worth the pain especially if you have a 30 year old paint job anyways and if you were like my buddy with custom paint he was just careful when doing it and his paint is mint
I've done paint/body/collision work my entire life even before our trucks were brand new. If people want to take short cuts that's on them. I will continue to do it the way I always have with a guaranteed outcome of not chewing up the molding. I don't care how your buddy does it. You act like a few screws for the panel and 3 bolts for the mirror is a lot of work.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It worked for him, but I`m not sure with other mirrors, Mine look like they're pinching the sweep.
Some mirrors are really tight to the belt molding and it's almost guaranteed you'll mark up the molding doing it this way if they are.

Last edited:

countryboy17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some mirrors are really tight to the belt molding and it's almost guaranteed you'll mark up the molding doing it this way if they are.
Well I rather a mark on my window sweep than a old and deteriorating window sweep that lets a lot of wind noise or water in

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.