Why is my 2 door Tahoe such a slug? Video inside....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SILVERBIRCH

Reaction score
have ran out of ideas of what is causing my stock 1999 2 door Tahoe 4wd to run so sluggish. I have already done the following and nothing has helped.
*deleted catalytic converters
*new ac delco plugs and wires
*new ac delco rotor and distributor cap
*sea foam thru the vacuum hose
*cleaned up the throttle body intake
*new fuel filter

Please see videos below.
All runs where WOT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijXjE4SjYQA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxhuMA8_s-Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't know what you were expecting. Trade it in on something that doesn't weigh 6000 or so pounds if you wanna go fast.

SILVERBIRCH

Reaction score
I've owned 2 door Tahoes before and none have felt as sluggish as this one. But thanks for your input!

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Clean or replace air filter
Replace fuel filter
Make sure all tires are at proper psi
Clean or replace EGR and PCV valves
Clean MAF sensor
Replace any fluids if needed
Replace pre-cat O[sub]2[/sub] sensors if needed
Make sure none of your injector poppets are stuck open or closed

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Check your timing, If the distributor is even a little bit loose, it might have slipped causing the timing to be off, too retarded or even too advanced.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've owned 2 door Tahoes before and none have felt as sluggish as this one. But thanks for your input!

Sorry, but looking at the 2 videos it didn't seem sluggish to me, what I saw was what I would expect a 15 year old truck of unknown mileage and maint history to perform.

Your welcome for my input.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Clean the grounds on the engine, from the battery to engine block at the lower right corner, the one to the back of the cylinder head on the right rear ( may be rotten if in the rust belt ) and the ones at the water outlet. You may also have a poor connection ( ground ) at the fuel pump, leading to issues at full throttle.

Any previous codes in the computer? I would also check to make sure that the coolant temp sensor is reading correctly. I see you didn't list cleaning the MAF, that would also be on my short list of things to do. Also, make sure there is no unfiltered air entering the engine... sometimes the throttle body can be a bit loose and not sealing properly.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Is the SES light on? Might want to start there. What gears are in the truck? That has a big effect on the "butt dyno"

SILVERBIRCH

Reaction score
Clean the grounds on the engine, from the battery to engine block at the lower right corner, the one to the back of the cylinder head on the right rear ( may be rotten if in the rust belt ) and the ones at the water outlet. You may also have a poor connection ( ground ) at the fuel pump, leading to issues at full throttle.

Any previous codes in the computer? I would also check to make sure that the coolant temp sensor is reading correctly. I see you didn't list cleaning the MAF, that would also be on my short list of things to do. Also, make sure there is no unfiltered air entering the engine... sometimes the throttle body can be a bit loose and not sealing properly.

I have the P0430 code pop up but I was thinking it was because I removed the catalytic converters

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes, that would pop up, but nothing else in there at all? It would be nice to have a gauge installed temporarily to monitor fuel pressure at WOT to see if there is an issue with fuel pressure.

As mentioned also, acceleration depends on what gears you have, and the tire and wheel package. My ECSB with 3.73's and 305 hauls the mail pretty darned good, but I also have stock sized tires. (245/75/16)