Why do some shocks specify the Z71 package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been working or rebuilding my suspension and steering on my stock 94 Sierra with the factory Z71 package, but I’ve noticed that some shocks specify that they aren’t made for the Z71 trucks, but is there any actual difference in the mounting of Z71 shocks vs normal 4x4 shocks or is there some other reason why it’s specified?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on shocks for my truck? I’d like something that rides smooth, I don’t tow often and my truck rarely leaves the pavement.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been working or rebuilding my suspension and steering on my stock 94 Sierra with the factory Z71 package, but I’ve noticed that some shocks specify that they aren’t made for the Z71 trucks, but is there any actual difference in the mounting of Z71 shocks vs normal 4x4 shocks or is there some other reason why it’s specified?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on shocks for my truck? I’d like something that rides smooth, I don’t tow often and my truck rarely leaves the pavement.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The mounts are the same. I just replaced the shocks on my 88 with Bilstein 4600’s. They are specified for Z71. Seems to ride pretty good with them. My 2014 Sierra Z71 came from the factory with Rancho’s. They were garbage. I replaced with 4600’s after the first month or so. Huge improvement. But the old 88 still rides softer than the 2014.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The mounts are the same. I just replaced the shocks on my 88 with Bilstein 4600’s. They are specified for Z71. Seems to ride pretty good with them. My 2014 Sierra Z71 came from the factory with Rancho’s. They were garbage. I replaced with 4600’s after the first month or so. Huge improvement. But the old 88 still rides softer than the 2014.

I can second this. My 98 still has (as far as I know) the original bilstien 4600s and it rides like a car. You get what you pay for with shocks.