Who has tried LED head lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mind you-those are 9012s so maybe that's why they are brighter-so your statemant may be true.

That's almost certainly why. 9011 and 9012 HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflective) bulbs are more efficient than standard halogens. They produce more light without using any more power, so any 9012 will most likely seem brighter than a 9006. Also if your old bulbs had a lot of use they may have degraded and lost some output over time.

I'm willing to bet that if you replaced those blue coated 9012s with some standard clear ones from Philips you'd notice an even bigger improvement.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
If vision in bad weather is a concern I would really recommend staying with halogens. The slightly blue tint of most LEDs kind of makes them disappear in the rain. It's weird but that's the best way I can think to describe it. The more yellow light from halogens will light up the road a lot better in the rain.

i noted this in my sons r53 Mini Cooper with factory xenon’s which are cooler white like my wife’s factory LED atlas has, roughly 5000K or maybe 5300k to my eyes. my (former) f31 had factory xenon’s as well but they were closer to 4700k apparent and didn’t disappear when roads got wet or it was raining.

solved my sons lighting issue with putting new yellow bulbs in the fog/driving lights For use with the low beams… I solved my wife’s Atlas’s issue by simply not driving it If it is raining and night. ;)

She’s in her early 30s so night vision isn’t an issue for her like it is to someone within a hairs breadth of a half century. The pupil simply doesn’t dilate as rapidly or precisely to adjust to the varying light levels, and yellower lights do not cause as much contraction as lights on the bluer end of the spectrum do… thus actually allowing a larger pupils and this more light gathering, ergo, better overall vision.

the current energy saving white LED streetlights absolutely do NOT help with this compared to the old sodium lamps. The reflection off the wet road absolutely wipes out the ability to view lane markings, especially if your own headlights are that same general color too.

since the dually has an LED conversion with 5500k temp LEDs, I converted the fogs over to yellow HID proactively though I have a set of switch back LED fog bulbs coming so I can pick and chose which color to run.

Last edited: