Who Does Computer Tunes And What Can I Get Rid Of?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a 96 gmc step side i'm building it is a 5spd 2wd originally had the 305 but i replaced with a 350 vortec. So can i have the 305 ecu tuned or will i have to get a 350? And Who does the tunes?
Also i already put a egr delete plate on and have a set of long pre vortec headers that i just installed o2 bungs in each collector.
My truck had 2 o2 sensors in the upper pipe under manifolds then 1 befor cat and one after do i still need these 2? As i'm not running any cats.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are several reputable companies who can tune your stock 305 PCM to work with the 350. I recommend Black Bear Performance. If you're not running cats you can remove the post-cat O2 sensor and have it tuned out. You still need the pre-cat ones for air/fuel mixture readings. If you've already removed the EGR, DO NOT drive the truck for any extended period until you get the tune. Removing the EGR without removing it from your tune can cause lean running conditions and detonation.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can have your PCM tuned for the engine swap. You don't need a new PCM. You can also have your PCM tuned for the EGR delete.

You don't need the two rear O2 sensors. You only need the two in the upper pipe under the manifold. You can have the engine codes for the Rear 02s tuned out so they don't show up.

Black Bear Performance does mail order tunes or find a local tuner with EFI Live to get a tune.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Another company that does it is Wait4Me. I messaged another company a short time ago, and they told me that the tune really won't do much since there is only so much they can do to a simple engine control system, and usually you would only notice a big difference if you have an automatic, changing shift points and TC settings.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another company that does it is Wait4Me. I messaged another company a short time ago, and they told me that the tune really won't do much since there is only so much they can do to a simple engine control system, and usually you would only notice a big difference if you have an automatic, changing shift points and TC settings.

I'll vouch for the difference being bigger on an auto. So much so that I actually had Black Bear Performance return my V6 truck's torque management and shift points to stock. I'm running billet servos, TransGo HD2 kit and a bunch of other goodies in my 4L60E so I'm sure that's a big part of it... But after my tune my truck would break traction HARD at WOT shifting into second. Every single time. That WOT shift into second actually destroyed one of the actuators on my defroster blend door, it fell onto my foot in two pieces right after the shift. Removing TM completely seems almost counter-productive (unless you're running some big ol' tires in the rear to take all that impact), I actually lost 1/4 mile time with my original tune due to breaking traction like that. Not much, but enough to be noticeable over time.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several reputable companies who can tune your stock 305 PCM to work with the 350. I recommend Black Bear Performance. If you're not running cats you can remove the post-cat O2 sensor and have it tuned out. You still need the pre-cat ones for air/fuel mixture readings. If you've already removed the EGR, DO NOT drive the truck for any extended period until you get the tune. Removing the EGR without removing it from your tune can cause lean running conditions and detonation.

I have yet to run engine as it's a new crate i wanted to get ecu tuned before initial starting.

You can also delete the evap and secondary air system if you have it as well.

How do i go about doing that? Also can that be removed from ecu when tuned?

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically just want a tune to remove the 2 oxygen sensors and egr and the headers and cat delete.
I read that the 305 ecu sets different psi to injectors ( i don't Think so? ) so i don't know if that's a factor.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Basically just want a tune to remove the 2 oxygen sensors and egr and the headers and cat delete.
I read that the 305 ecu sets different psi to injectors ( i don't Think so? ) so i don't know if that's a factor.
I meant with the tune, I had an 01 Silverado z71 with cali emissions. Back in 2007 I sent the computer to a company, don't remember who, who basically gave it a Hypertech tune, along with raising the RPM limit, top speed limit, and disabling codes for all Evap, converter/rear o2 sensor, secondary air, and egr. You don't have to physically remove any of it if you don't want to, but after the tune you can simply unplug and remove any of that stuff and never get a code, yet still show the monitors as run and passed. I removed the egr valve and blocked it off, removed the air pump, converters and rear sensors, and never got a code for any of it.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
FWIW, I took the Evap off Pigpen when I was doing the brakes, and haven't gotten a code from it yet. Of course, i might later lol.