Whipper charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I go Whipple charger, provided I can find one do I need to do a bunch of crazy computer stuff still?
You'll need a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor for any boost. The EBL Flash-II is capable of running boost and nitrous.

As far as NA engines, we've had these discussions with you on other threads. IMO doing just the "ultimate mods" isn't enough, you want to either get it bored out or go with a 454 TB. Your cam is a little small and, as Kenny said, you need better flowing heads. @Erik the Awful mentioned you can work your swirl port heads or as I suggested, get yourself those Summit Racing heads.

The Gearhead EFI forums will have more info, I believe there is a user there who offers mail order custom tuning for the TBI PCMs.
Yes, Dave w (Old School EFI) can help you with tuning.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Those heads are the weak point.
Terrible heads for upper end power. Decent for low end grunt though.
It all depends on what your looking to gain. If its a stump pulling low end you want they work fine but don't plan on spinning the motor more then 4500rpm. After that, it wont be making power just more noise.
A half ton's LO5 will be 9.3:1 compression with 64 cc chambered 193's.
The only swirl ports with larger chambers are found on some 1 ton trucks with a casting number like 14102191. Those have 76 cc chambers.
At the very least, the stock heads need some real valve springs to handle any kind of cam.
I forget what the stock cam specs are but IIRC, the lift is well under .400".
It's one of the saddest cams GM ever dropped into an SBC.
But, your cam choice could stand to be a little more aggressive. That one will probably fall a bit short of the 300hp(+) you're aiming for.
The heads can be improved to some extent but for the money you might as well get some Vortecs.
A decent cam swap, the newer heads, plus some headers will wake up your truck, along with what PlayingWithTBI just mentioned.
Those stock swirl ports are junk.
Apparently...1996 G30HD vans used a TBI intake on Vortec heads.

Last edited: