Whipper charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want a truck that doesn’t have a problem telling a small trailer. I don’t care about racing anybody. With that being said all I want is 300 hp and maybe 370 to 380‘ pounds of torque. The other thing I want is to not have to do a bunch of computer tuning as I’m finding out apparently it’s a colossal nightmare to figure out. If I go Whipple charger, provided I can find one do I need to do a bunch of crazy computer stuff still?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I go Whipple charger, provided I can find one do I need to do a bunch of crazy computer stuff still?

Short answer, yes. Any major modification like that is going to require tuning.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible at all to achieve 300hp and 370 tq without messing w computer??

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it possible at all to achieve 300hp and 370 tq without messing w computer??

Maybe, but you'll have issues with something. Avoiding computer tuning is not something I'd recommend with any kind of performance modification.

What engine do you have and what's your budget? Also what year truck? If you absolutely don't want to mess with tuning at all, you could swap in a Vortec 454 with it's stock computer and wiring harness and get 290HP and 410lb/ft.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1992 k 1500 is the truck. Right now it is bone stock has a lot of miles on it and very weak oil pressure. I have the motor out of a 95K 1500. That motor is currently sitting on a stand getting ready to be torn down and rebuilt. I have a long tube headers I have the Edelbrock performer Tbi intake I have a summit racing 1102 cam I have done meticulously the entire ultimate Tbi mod. Everything I listed is still sitting in a box on a bench. The motor has not been torn down just yet. I’m trying to get together a plan of attack before I do this. A lot of these parts were things I acquired over the years for the idea of doing this. I even have an extra throttlebody and an extra set of heads. Factory heads

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cam and heads is where your power is at. Really good heads, with even a small cam, can make a big difference. Also a set of flat top pistons will help by raising the compression. All of this need to work together with other mods. Exhaust, headers, mufflers, cats, all play a part. Also people tend to not even think about rear end gearing and transmission performance. Way back when, engines didnt make a ton of power. They would put lower gears to get these engines to pull. Tire size also effects gearing.PlayingWithTBI is a wealth of knowledge on tbi engines. I think his truck is somewhere between 325 to 350 HP. Not sure about torque, but He is running 410 gears. Maybe reach out to Him and He can point you in the rite direction.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
373 gears in it now, i’m open to suggestions I just want to get around those numbers without having a jack with the computer if I can help it. Finding somebody to program these things is a nightmare. Swapping out a wiring harness is to me is also a nightmare. I understand the mechanical side fine. I’m beginning to hate this truck. All I want is a little more power 300 hp doesn’t seem unreasonable. It seems ridiculous to me I got to spend thousands of dollars changing out wiring harness or programming a computer. It’s not as simple as burning a chip. Since every engine build is a little different they have to be custom tune and nobody does that stuff anymore or at least not locally. I don’t have the time or money and resources to travel to some random state where somebody just might be able to do it.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can find one, get a 400. I built one for a 90 I had years ago, and the power/torque was incredible. Never dyno'd, but every bit over 350 horse and 400 torque at least. What amazes me after all these years, I never had it tuned, and it ran great. I put over 10k on it before I sold it. Guy who bought it beat the snot out of it and blew it up. I have a Whipple on my 96 Yukon, and even being lifted, has 33s and 3.73s, pulls really well. But, whipples are extremely hard to find. I got lucky, all I wanted was a lifted 4 door, pleasantly surprised when I popped the hood and saw the whipple. All for $1200 lol :banana-mario: