Whining noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had this whining noise for a while. Could anyone tell me what it is?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Pull the belt off and fire it up. If noise goes away then it’s one of the pulleys, alternator, idler, etc………Id use a stethoscope on all the pulleys. Could be any of those belt driven doohickey’s. If not could be from the transmission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the belt off and fire it up. If noise goes away then it’s one of the pulleys, alternator, idler, etc………Id use a stethoscope on all the pulleys. Could be any of those belt driven doohickey’s. If not could be from the transmission.
Does have that transmission sound.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve never heard a 4l60 sound like this. Maybe an 80. I diagnose and rebuild newer GM stuff. Like 6,8,9, and 10 speeds. We don’t see these older units anymore at the dealership. But it is possible. If it was mine I’d start by pulling the belt off and see if the noise goes away. It’s worth a shot and should only take about 30 seconds

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never heard a 4l60 sound like this. Maybe an 80. I diagnose and rebuild newer GM stuff. Like 6,8,9, and 10 speeds. We don’t see these older units anymore at the dealership. But it is possible. If it was mine I’d start by pulling the belt off and see if the noise goes away. It’s worth a shot and should only take about 30 seconds
That sound reminded me of some of the God awful things we used to do for fun to cars. Like at speed flooring it and dropping transmission into reverse. Some would make that noise, similar anyway’s. Back when you could buy a car for $50.00 just to beat on it for a few weeks. :anitoof:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sound reminded me of some of the God awful things we used to do for fun to cars. Like at speed flooring it and dropping transmission into reverse. Some would make that noise, similar anyway’s. Back when you could buy a car for $50.00 just to beat on it for a few weeks. :anitoof:
Sounds like my cousins 70 Torino. Only way he could get it to spin a wheel was was do a full throttle reverse then drop it in low without lifting. Remember those old 250 Fords with the integral head? Yup,couldn't blow that POS up.