Which Water Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been digging around and asking on other threads but haven't got a reply. I need to order a water pump asap for my vortec 350. I usually order parts from rock auto and try to use AC Delco as much as possible. There are several water pumps for this motor on rock auto and two of them are AC Delco. The cheaper one says it is a professional for $35.79 part number 252711 and the other says OE design for $142.79 part number 251719. Is it worth spending over $100 more for the OE design? Which pump are most going with?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like the $35 pump is a rebuild. $140 is a lot, I would look for a new pump at a less cost. 75 to 100 sounds about rite

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where are you getting pumps new for that price and what brand? I just don't want to put junk in. Thanks

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't priced a new pump in a while. I have had decent luck with Dorman. Try Amazon

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd go with the $140 ACDelco. As someone who just put a $300 Edelbrock water pump in another vehicle, $140 doesn't sound too bad. :lol: I don't think that's out of line for a new OEM pump.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should I change my tstat at that time as well? I'm not having any issues with it but I do plan on changing from red coolant to green while doing the pump

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I definitely would. Go with ACDelco part number 131-151 for the thermostat. It's a factory 195 degree unit. Any lower and the engine will never reach operating temperature and you'll get bad gas mileage.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It comes down to what you prefer. I changed my water pump on my 97 5.7L about 4 or 5 years ago. I bought my pump from ether O Riley's or AutoZone. I always ask for a new part, never a reman. I didn't change my thermostat at that time. About 2 years ago, I changed the thermostat to a colder thermostat, because the truck run's better when it is colder. Keep in mind, that I live in the very deep south. It is hot here most of the time. When I pulled the 190 degree thermostat, it was working fine. I also prefer green coolant. If you swap to green coolant, you need to make sure you flush all of the red coolant out of the system. I like to use Prestone flush and fill kit. I think I ran my truck with the flush and fill kit installed and the water hose hooked up for about 30 mins. ideling in the drive way. Then I drained the radiator. After it drained, I closed the drain valve, and filled the system with pure green coolant. With what was left in the system, this gave me about a 50/50 mix. As long as you can get about 1 gallon of pure coolant, in the system, this will be close to a 50/50 mix.