Which spindles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chebbyfan

Reaction score
I have a 90 Sport I'd like to lower just a bit. I'm thinking just 2 inch spindles and rear spring mount and shackle kit. I have done a lower kit on an old squarebody and just don't want to go that low again. I have the factory steel Sport/SS wheels on this truck and want to keep them for now, so I need a spindle that allows me to run the 15" wheels. Out of all the brands, which spindle would be the best to keep the track width the same and give me the fewest problems after the install? A friend of mine said he used QA1 spindles, but I cannot find those anywhere. Thanks for the help.

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spindles will require trimming of lower control arms with 15 inch wheels I'd go with 2 inch springs

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
BellTech & their derivatives, CSM, Western Chassis, etc, will push the wheels out about 3/4" on each side.
McGaughy's don't. They keep the original track width.
Either way, to run 15's you will have to trim the gutters on the LCA's.
No biggie, though. Doing so will not structurally comprimise the LCA.
With the truck's weight on the suspesnion, turn the wheel to the lock & mark where the wheel contacts the arm. Measure 2"-2.5" in from there to designate the innermost point to grind to.
Mine have been done about 10 years now. They've survived me & my driving shenanigans quite well. Still structurally fine. No stress cracks or bends.
That extra 2"-2.5" is to allow for clearance for when the suspension fully compresses.
Have the wheels balanced with stick-on weights, instead of the clamp style. Just a bit more insurance against the weights being knocked off by the LCA.

Do both sides of the LCA.

You must be registered for see images attach

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the C1500 Sport get the 1.28" thick rotors? If not, make sure you get spindles marketed for the 88-91 regular cabs or you'll get to replace your entire front brake system along with your spindles. Most 88-91 regular cabs have smaller brake rotors than the rest of GMT400's. I don't know if the Sport got the brake upgrade or not.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear the Mcgaughys and djm spindles won’t widen the track width, but Belltechs will.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used summit racing 2" drop spindles on my 94 , and my setup is 15x7 mid 70s truck rallyes and 15x8 suburban rallyes. I had no clearance problems in the front, first time i needed to use the stock spare holy ****!!! I was pissed. ****** hit all over the LCA. Summits instructions never said anything about trimming the LCAs to fit a stock rim lip. Wasnt sure how far to trim but i did a little at a time on one LCA until i had enough clearance that they wouldent scrape or knock wheel weights off. After that i duplicated it on the other side. Still even with all that, i think drop spindles are much better way to go than 2" coils.

Last edited:

willinthe985

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used DJM spindles when I lowered my 96 back in 06. Had to trim the gutters as mentioned. Easy peasy.

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Something else to consider. Since you are replacing the spindles, you could go with the thicker rotor (1.25" vs. 1") and bigger bearings. I recently did this on my 1990.

You would need spindles, rotors (bearings), and calipers for a 1992+ truck. Total cost for the new brake parts was around $230. Spindle cost will depend on what you decide to go with.