Which Drop Shock Manufacturer Do You Prefer, and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
Hey kev, did you by chance run the belltech shocks shaft-down? or did the fluid just blow upwards out the seals?

If you had them mounted in stock location, just disregard that question....it was just me not thinking this morning....afternoon.

I had them shaft up. Both of my shock are located behind the rearend. I have installed a 2door s-10 blazer gas tank where the spare tires goes.

After talking to bell tech many many time we agree that the bell tech shocks are not For a modified trucks that has major TQ .

Last edited:

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but ANY brand of "drop" shock will ride like absolute ass and become downright annoying if you actually drive the truck a substantial amount. I sold my Belltech shocks after two weeks and a little over 2000 miles. They were pathetic, floaty in the front and bouncy in the rear. Luckily Monroe Sensa-Tracs are available for other vehicles and they just so happen to fit OBS trucks with a 3/5-5/7ish drop. Rides better than it ever did in factory form now.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've run Doestch. They were just O.K. Right now, I'm using the new Belltech's. Better, but... still not getting the ride I'm looking for. I lowered my truck for the handling aspect, as opposed to appearance. Back road twisties & canyon blasting. Added big sway bars, fr & rr, + full urethane body mount & suspension kit. Both shocks I've used were a little too bouncy in the front with that lowered choppy ride in the rear. Next up is a rear shock upper mount relocation. With the 4/6 drop, I don't like the rear shock angle. Too horizontal. They are acting more as a lever instead of a shock.
Dream shocks? Steeda QA1's! The double adjustables. But, $1500.00 for 4 shocks? Ouch. Not only that, but the QA1 distributors for Western Canada are a bunch of *&^%$#@! Had a bunch of cash, went in to order the shocks, even had the part #'s, & the parts guy says, "Nah, you don't want those, you want these" (some offshore brand) No, I want the QA1's! Parts guy says that I'm wasting my money, & his time, then walks away. WTF?

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
:jester:

You sound like me. The best thing I ever did that shortened my stopping distance and made the truck rock solid in hard cornering was to buy generic progressive bumpstops and cut them to the height I wanted. It will just touch them on large bumps, but not really noticeable with the sensa-tracs and a 55 series tire. Slam on the brakes or take a corner hard though, and it loads on the bumpstop and really makes the truck feel about as "secure" in handling as a heavy truck can be.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Hmmm, those progressive bumpstops sound like a good idea....also the QA1's. My current shocks are actually the sensa-tracs, but I'm currently an inch from bottoming them out with standard stance, not good for shocks to bottom before bump stops lol. Also, the rears bottom before bump stops....it doesn't feel good either.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
Here the qa1 I run on my blazer.. I love the way they rode.
Qa1coilover kit shock and coils
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, that's an actual kit? or did you fab up something so it'd work. I ran QA-1's on my old bracket nova, they've held up even after I converted car back to almost street legal.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, that's an actual kit? or did you fab up something so it'd work. I ran QA-1's on my old bracket nova, they've held up even after I converted car back to almost street legal.
It was a kit, I ran 450lbs springs