Where to run wires through firewall?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treyes

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 92 c1500 and can’t find anywhere to run my subwoofer power wire and other accessories through the firewall without drilling which i don’t really want to do so if y’all could let me know where y’all ran y’all’s wires through that’d be appreciated

RustyNM_92

Reaction score
Why don't you want to drill a hole? If its about rust then just drill a hole, paint it, and add a rubber grommet. That's what I did. You could also remove the rubber boot around the steering column but it is kind of hard to do and it will not look well done. Another more difficult option would be to run it through the heater core, just dig out the foam and find a way to wiggle it through, this is a lot more difficult, than drilling a hole though and probably a really dumb idea since it will get really hot lol.

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
If you don't have the tools to drill I'll second RustyNM_92's methods although neither are my preferred.

Don't be too afraid to drill a hole, just make sure you're doing it in the right spot. If your truck is an automatic you can drill where the clutch master cylinder would pass through. It's my preferred location and even has an outline both in the sheet metal and the insulation inside the cab. You can get grommets pretty cheap on Amazon in a variety of sizes

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drilled mine under the reservoir fill, came out right under the carpet, perfect. Pull the carpet up first, so you don't catch it with the bit. I threw RTV on it to prevent rust and keep it watertight, but mine isn't a show truck, the paint and grommet route does look cleaner, but you can't see it, so it wasn't a priority for me.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot to add this: either way you go, if you drill, make sure you clean up the hole. Last thing you want is an 4ga or larger power wire straight to the body (ground). I used a Dremel to clean up any burs. years of vibrations and a sharp enough bur will cut right through a grommet and cable sheath and ground out eventually.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
In my 98 Sierra I ran my subwoofer power through the hollow fender and directly into the floor sill plate straight to the back under the seat where it simply comes out under the trim. I did use the 4g professional amp power wire. slick as **** and I did not drill a hole whatsoever. you might be suprised how dirty it is under the sill plate and should clean it out to prevent rot from the inside out. good luck with the screws, I replaced them with stainless steel screws.

Al

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
View media item 32202I used one of these to pass a higher current wire through my firewall for my heated power seats. Much safer than running a wire through a grommet, and only like $10 on Amazon if I remember right.

Those are great for low to mid current, say, up to 100 amps, but I don't know that I'd trust them beyond that. Those lugs aren't as thick as 1/0 gauge wire, making them the weak point. Now if you're just putting in maybe a 1000 watt RMS tops system, that would probably be okay. I wouldn't put too much more on them though.