Where to buy online an oem engine oil dipstick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Vortec name was first used on the V6 and I believe just indicated it was EFI. They didn't have the multi-port injection, nor the Vortec head. I beleive the OP has a V8, or at least it's assumed.

I've never heard of any Chevy Vortex outside of people that don't know, don't care what they drive.
Well I do remember hearing that name being thrown around in the 80’s.
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 80’s was 40 years ago, but I do remember Chevy using “Vortex” lingo. Technically no they didn’t call it that but that’s where the name Vortec came from.
But what do I know, I don’t even care what I drive apparently!:shrug:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My brother in law has S10 4x4, 91 or 92 Vortec 4.3 Thats how i found out and looked it up that GM introduced Vortec before 96 year.
Yeah it was like my 95 K2500 was a practice year before the changes with 96.
OBD 2, multi port injection, pushbutton 4x4, third door on extened cab, pax side airbag.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the 80’s was 40 years ago, but I do remember Chevy using “Vortex” lingo. Technically no they didn’t call it that but that’s where the name Vortec came from.
I’ve never seen a 4.3 in a Colorado. Only ones I’ve seen are inline 4 or inline 5 cylinders. Until the newer body style where they now run a 3.6l 6 cylinder.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah the 80’s was 40 years ago, but I do remember Chevy using “Vortex” lingo. Technically no they didn’t call it that...

So we agree then.

Vortex is a characteristic of fluid mechanics. The Vortec name is based on that, as you said. GM can't patent or copyright "vortex" any more than they can patent or copyright water being wet, or the sky being blue.

I would assume Vortec is an amalgamation of vortex and technology, but that's just a guess at what the marketing guys were going for.

I'm sorry, if I offended you.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we agree then.

Vortex is a characteristic of fluid mechanics. The Vortec name is based on that, as you said. GM can't patent or copyright "vortex" any more than they can patent or copyright water being wet, or the sky being blue.

I would assume Vortec is an amalgamation of vortex and technology, but that's just a guess at what the marketing guys were going for.

I'm sorry, if I offended you.
It was just a quick off the cuff comment(“I thought the first 4.3’s came out in 1986, but were called Vortex!”) that after 40 odd years had some truth to it as GM DID use the word Vortex. You obviously never heard them use that term. I did.

I’d say your reply “I've never heard of any Chevy Vortex outside of people that don't know, don't care what they drive” obviously shows who was offended!:chillpill:

Chuck_13

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep.I had a 1984 GMC C15 305,buddy bought a 1985 C10 with a 4.3 "Vortec",bragged on how fast it was.Wasn't faster than a 305.But that was the first year of the "Vortec" engine.