Dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmerted

Reaction score
Here is my problem. I have a 94 gmc heavy half that came with an LB4 engine (4.3 non counter balanced). The engine was replaced with a different LB4, or it appears as I cannot see the block code but all features point to it being an LB4. Guy I got it from said motor was from a newer model year vehicle and the valve covers would agree as they are the ones that say vortec in big letters. If that's the case, according to what I can find the motor had to come out of 95 astro/safari van as that was the only application newer than 94 that used this TBI version of the 6 cylinder in LB4 config.
The issue is the dipstick or more likely the tube. With the correct amount of oil the level just barely touches the bottom of the stick. Currently running a half quart over just so I can see the level. The dipstick I have has (I think) the correct part number for the original equipment engine for this application. The tube however appears wrong as it is under the air intake hose which must be pushed aside to get the dipstick in and out.
My questions are....
First can anyone confirm this mismatch as being my issue?

Ideally I'd like to replace the tube but have been warned the doorman product doesn't fit the 4.3 block. Anyone know where to find the correct tube at a fair price? Not paying $130 for nos.

Or I could stick the correct dipstick in and live with it being against the intake. Anyone know which part no stick was in a 95 astro with a 4.3?

Lastly I could cut the tube I have to be correct with the stick I have. Would need to know the exact difference in length between the two sticks.... This would be my last resort as I am already guessing at oil level, no sense making a guess permanent.

Thanks, Brian

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is just a piece of tube you can bend it to where it needs to be as far as it being to long use a little tubing cutter and cut the tube until it reads full with the correct amount of oil in it. You don’t need to buy anything unless you don’t have the little tubing cutter. So if you fill it up with the right amount of oil and it doesn’t touch the end pull the stick out and put the full mark at the top of the tube put your tubing cutter on the tube and slide it down to the end of the dip stick which is what an inch and half or two inches and cut that much off the tube if you don’t feel comfortable with doing that much do half of that and put the stick back in and see if it reads if it’s off cut by the amount it’s off simple

farmerted

Reaction score
That is just a piece of tube you can bend it to where it needs to be as far as it being to long use a little tubing cutter and cut the tube until it reads full with the correct amount of oil in it. You don’t need to buy anything unless you don’t have the little tubing cutter. So if you fill it up with the right amount of oil and it doesn’t touch the end pull the stick out and put the full mark at the top of the tube put your tubing cutter on the tube and slide it down to the end of the dip stick which is what an inch and half or two inches and cut that much off the tube if you don’t feel comfortable with doing that much do half of that and put the stick back in and see if it reads if it’s off cut by the amount it’s off simple
Mentioned that myself as a last resort.

Forgot to mention the oil pan is dented from the motor being sat on it.... So correct amount may not equal correct level.

I want to know the oil level is correct compared to crank journals because that's what actually matters.

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the oil level can only be so high in the block. When you raise the level inside the block you can create air in the oil from the crankshaft hitting it. So if you have a 5 quart pan and push the bottom in you no longer can put 5 quarts in it. I would think you would have a ton of room to drop the pan and take a piece of wood and a hammer and straighten back out. Over full is almost as bad as under full