How to calibrate Transmission dipstick 98 5.7 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhoe

Reaction score
I had thought the hot full mark on the 4l60E is the gasket pan line? The top full hot hole is almost 1/2 inch lower than the gasket pan line.
I put some scratches ( blue line ) on the dipstick to what I believe should be the got full line should be. This tranny was in the shop a few years ago for a rebuild and I have no idea if they changed anything on me. Can anyone give their opinion? The 98s have a longer dipstick stop and a deep pan as I have.

You must be registered for see images attach

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had thought the hot full mark on the 4l60E is the gasket pan line? The top full hot hole is almost 1/2 inch lower than the gasket pan line.
I put some scratches ( blue line ) on the dipstick to what I believe should be the got full line should be. This tranny was in the shop a few years ago for a rebuild and I have no idea if they changed anything on me. Can anyone give their opinion? The 98s have a longer dipstick stop and a deep pan as I have.

You must be registered for see images attach
That is the correct dipstick stop for a 98-03 4L60e with a factory deep pan or any earlier 4L60E where a deep pan was retro'd. No adjustment needed, just check level when hot on a level grade.

If you're not sure you have the correct dipstick, simply go to a junk yard and grab another from a 98+ 4L60E...

jbhoe

Reaction score
That is the correct dipstick stop for a 98-03 4L60e with a factory deep pan or any earlier 4L60E where a deep pan was retro'd. No adjustment needed, just check level when hot on a level grade.

If you're not sure you have the correct dipstick, simply go to a junk yard and grab another from a 98+ 4L60E.
In the picture the full line ( top hole in stick ) is not the pan line. It looks short of that. See the blue line. I think it needs to be at the blue line. Your thoughts?

jbhoe

Reaction score
See the picture for my 97 suburban short pan and shorter stop. The full line is higher than my 98 Tahoe. This full line looks about right.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 7

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the picture the full line ( top hole in stick ) is not the pan line. It looks short of that. See the blue line. I think it needs to be at the blue line. Your thoughts?
My thoughts are the same as I expressed above - if you're not sure you have the correct dipstick (which is the only variable here in my view), then grab another to compare...If you want, measure the overall length of your dipstick and post back...I'll see if I can measure mine at some point today or tomorrow (prob tomorrow, since it's pouring here and my 03 Tahoe is outside) and post back so you have something to directly compare.

ETA: Are you having issues with the transmission? if so, what are they?

jbhoe

Reaction score
My thoughts are the same as I expressed above - if you're not sure you have the correct dipstick (which is the only variable here in my view), then grab another to compare...If you want, measure the overall length of your dipstick and post back...I'll see if I can measure mine at some point today or tomorrow (prob tomorrow, since it's pouring here and my 03 Tahoe is outside) and post back so you have something to directly compare.

ETA: Are you having issues with the transmission? if so, what are they?
Thank you. I have replaced the sunshell. The dip stick is the correct one as I have checked the model number on various parts website. I guess GM moved the fill line to lower than the pan rail. I just cant figure out why GM would do this.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I have replaced the sunshell. The dip stick is the correct one as I have checked the model number on various parts website. I guess GM moved the fill line to lower than the pan rail. I just cant figure out why GM would do this.
When the engine is running, the pump is circulating fluid however once it shuts off, some of that fluid backfills to the pan...As long as there is enough fluid in the system to keep the filter completely submerged when engine is running, trans is in gear such that there's no air entering the system via the filter, you'll be fine...