Where does the transmission dipstick tube bolt on with a 1993 K2500 350 4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fivezero

Reaction score
I have always known transmission dipstick tubes to mount to one of the transmission to engine mounting bolts. I have a K2500 Suburban with a 350 and 4L80E that was used by the military as a fire command vehicle. At some point they must have changed the transmission as it had the newer style trans connector on it that was put on poorly. They also did not reconnect the wiring and breather connections on the trans to engine bolts as they should have. The left the Starter wire heat shield dangling and the dipstick tube was not mounted to anything. It seems they bent it a little also during the process. The only place the dipstick tube seems to meet up is on the inside head bolt position that has the two ground straps. There is a bolt there and I am wondering if it needs one of the bolt studs with the bolt holding the grounding wires and the stud holding the dipstick tube in place. I have seen other people say the tube mounts to the upper passenger side transmission to engine bolt. Does anyone know for sure? That is before I start buying a replacement or modifying this one to fit somewhere. Any help is appreciated.

fivezero

Reaction score
It is a government contract vehicle but not a tactical vehicle, so the only difference is how it is optioned and the military tag on the radiator support. All of them were blue in color but this one is hi vis yellow for the firetruck part.

fivezero

Reaction score
I did check the 94 manuals as I don't have the 1993 repair manual. It does show it going in the top passenger side bolt hole as I had suspected. Not sure what they did to bend it up so bad, but I will try to bend it back or get a new one. Oddly enough, this is the only one that uses a bolt. The rest of the five are the stud bolts. I think they replaced some of the fasteners. Thanks for the insight.

fivezero

Reaction score
I went through this again the other day and the only place this dipstick will line up to is the ground bolt stud on the head. I tried like hell to move it to the top bell housing bolt on the passenger side but there is about a 2-inch difference between in height. There was a bolt holding the grounds to the head, so I replace it with a bolt stud to accommodate both the grounds and the dipstick ear. Updating for any future reference. I suspect the military changed the transmission and just got the wrong dipstick since it does not match the manuals.