1990 C1500 engine swap to an LS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
WARNING...This will be a long drawn out deal. Only because I am slowly collecting parts and knowledge to do this swap. I'm an old carb and distributor guy and struggled like hell (and still struggle) with TB EFI.

So far I've collected an 80K 5.3 out of an 03 something, that was taken to the local trade school where the kids resealed the engine. They painted the block and pan Lime Green ( read puke here) so I will remove the accessories, water pump and intake so the paint can be changed to something more appropriate. I have an ECM, throttle peddle and TAC module that match the engine. The engine is a DBW so I'll also swap the 700R4 for a 4L60E. That is an extra expense I really didn't want, but in the end I think it will be best. The engine is missing a few things like a couple sensors and the oil dipstick tube and stick. Can't quite figure that one out! haha

Next I'll be looking for accessory mounts to relocate the A/C pump and match the alternator and PS pump so it look "right" and match side to side. Will also need engine mounts and will replace everything from block to frame as long as the engine is out. After all the original rubber mounts are only 33 years old and have 240K on them. I think they are tired!

Still lots to do and think about. Be warned, I'm a procrastinator and take a bath in oil every morning so I don't squeak opening my wallet!!

Ken

kenh

Reaction score
I've been looking at different brackets to mount my stock A/C compressor onto the 5.3. I almost drove myself crazy looking and gave up! haha Looked again and found NiceCNC. It looked like well thought out stuff so inquired about brackets to also mount the alternator and PS pump. I got a reply back along with a photo of the setup. It looks good and I like the belt wrap unlike some systems. There is an Ebay vendor that has excellent pricing and a good rating so will order from him.
This A/C bracket works with the larger 5" clutch unlike many of the others.

Ken

Attachments

• serp belt brackets.jpg
    serp belt brackets.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

kenh

Reaction score
Part of this whole "build" is having a truck that dosen't look like a snake going down the road. I'm surprised I haven't been stopped for an OWI. LOL. So I ordered most of the suspension and steering parts. A-arms, tie rods, rag joint and sway bar links. I also got the bushings for the rear springs. I opted for the rag joint because my local U-pick treasure yard closed nine months ago.

Ken