Where can I find a 4L60E Label code deciphering chart or Guide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob7233

Reaction score
I'm looking at a used transmission for my 1997 GMC C1500 Sierra SLE - SCLB RWD w/5.7/350 Vortec.

I believe this is the same trans in my truck but I'm trying to confirm. These features are all present: One piece bellhousing, short pan, the first number from the ID label is 7, D is supposed to be Toledo (which the label spells out). The large numbers from the label are: 7CJD The smaller and longer number/ code is: 617CJDY19401754

Yep, I watched the below YouTube video below but it stopped short of what I was looking for. The guy at Transmission Bench said it could be found in an internet search.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

>>> I'm having No Such Luck. Where can I find a chart or guide to decipher the label code to confirm exactly what this tranny came off of??

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if the codes actually tell you what exact vehicle the transmission came out of? It's not like the VIN.

What does "CJ" give you as far as engine? If the unit doesn't have the transfer case adapter, that tells you it's a C1500. Only other variable is the engine. 4.3/5.0/5.7. Although I believe the transmission in that case would actually be the same? Not certain.

Rob7233

Reaction score
"C J" Should give me indication of what engine was originally in front of it (as I read) BUT No chart that I can find, will tell/confirm me that.

I was also wondering what info the smaller code line could tell me.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

7CJD 5.7L C-Truck; Extended cab (1997)

7CJD 4.8L, 5.3L G-Van, C-Truck Ext. cab 6 1/2' & 8' bed "Classic" (2007) But this would have the newer-design bellhousing set up for LS engines.

A quick look at the chart, "7" is the model year--'97 or perhaps 2007. "C" refers to the body style. "J" is an indicator of engine torque/vehicle weight--"A" is the lightest-duty, used behind 2.2L and V-6; "Z" is used behind 6.0L and is a 4L65E. Could also refer to valve body calibration.

And they all have "D" as the last in the four-digit group; I have no idea what that signifies.

Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
The 4-digit code is merely a broadcast code for the ability to see what part is going into a specific truck, there is no way to decipher what vehicle that it was actually in w/o looking at a build sheet which the public don't really have access to. The 24201589 part number is more helpful as to figuring out what the trans came in than the 4-digit code.

Edit: the 24201589 goes to a 24207593 which is a 1996-1997 only 2wd trans from behind a 350.

Last edited:

Rob7233

Reaction score
I was told it came out of a 1997 C1500 Single Cab with the 350/5.7L but wanted to confirm that if possible.

I'm still trying to find a chart or something out there to see for myself. It would really be helpful when scavenging the yards for an upgrade or replacement trans to have a better idea of exactly what i'm looking at.

Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
i confirmed that in my post btw... the 8 digit part number 24201589 that is on the sticker is a 96-97 only 4l60E

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know why it would matter. Any '97 to '99 from a GMT400 truck should work. I don't believe there's anything mechanically different on the transmissions from say a RCSB, RCLB, ECSB, etc...even the SUV units would be the same. You can run a newer 4L60e from the later trucks, but I believe you need a different flywheel and spacer?

Are you going to just swap the transmission? Or are you looking for one to get rebuilt? A good percentage of these trucks I see getting parted out around here have a blown 4L60e.

I suppose if you are going the direct junkyard swap, make sure you are convinced the truck appeared to be running when it was hit. I've seen guys posting videos on what to look for. For example, a neglected, but otherwise intact truck sitting at the junkyard would indicate that the engine and/or tranny are bad. A truck with large front end damage would most likely indicate that it was running become it plowed into whatever...etc.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any '97 to '99 from a GMT400 truck should work. I don't believe there's anything mechanically different on the transmissions from say a RCSB, RCLB, ECSB, etc...even the SUV units would be the same.
No promises on number of clutch plates in the various clutch packs; and in the old days there could easily be governor/valve body/separator plate differences.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm wrong. I was thinking of the LS-based 4L60e...those are all the same. I have heard on the earlier 4L60e, the V6 had fewer clutch plates than the V8...I don't know if that's actually true.

So OP needs to just stick to a V8 truck? That still leaves Tahoes and Suburban's as potential candidates.