Wheel cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carguy77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked these up for my k1500. I can't seem to get all the grime off. Any suggestions? I've used wheel cleaner, wd40 and dawn dish soap
You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that a clearcoated wheel? I ask because clearcoat can break down over time, become porous, and let contaminants penetrate to oxidize the metal below or discolor a base color.

carguy77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to say they aren't. I was using the scrubbing side of a dish sponge and it was scratching the surface

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to say they aren't. I was using the scrubbing side of a dish sponge and it was scratching the surface

Ok, that makes sense I couldn't figure out why the finish was so dull looking. The scrubby side of a dish sponge is basically scotchbrite pad so they have been prepped for paint. lol

Labor intenstive and time consuming but they can be polished back up to look near new.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
If you use that stuff be very careful not to get it on you, and if you do, wash it off right away.... it has hydroflouric acid in it. The danger isn't in it burning, but taking the calcium right out of your bones and blood.
^^This, definitely be careful when using it.

mn_ski

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, you could check out this wheel cleaner I picked up from NAPA. I found it while youtubing how to clean and polish Aluminum wheels. The stuff worked so well that I don't think I am going to bother polishing the wheels. Follow the instructions only leaving the product on for 30 sec at a time with light scrubbing if needed using a brush. I repeated several times but was very amazed at how well it worked right away.

From NAPA:

Backside of wheel:

Not perfect but considering how bad they were to start with:

Front vs Back:

Finished:

Good Luck:cheers:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
OP, you could check out this wheel cleaner I picked up from NAPA. I found it while youtubing how to clean and polish Aluminum wheels. The stuff worked so well that I don't think I am going to bother polishing the wheels. Follow the instructions only leaving the product on for 30 sec at a time with light scrubbing if needed using a brush. I repeated several times but was very amazed at how well it worked right away.

From NAPA:

Backside of wheel:

Not perfect but considering how bad they were to start with:

Front vs Back:

Finished:

Good Luck:cheers:
Looks like it gives good results. How much did it cost? Thanks