Wheels and Hubcaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I ended up skipping the dog dish idea. Gonna go with rally wheels with a trim rings and center caps. Pulled a great set of 15x8 wheels off a 1979 C10 locally. They already had trim rings on them. Took em home and cleaned em all up and polished the rings. They rings came out great. Also found someone locally that had put a brand new set of 31x10.5x15 tires on their jeep and then totaled it the next week. So they sold em to me for about a third of new. They still have the nubs and only about 200 miles on them! Love it.

Now to the question. I want to take the wheels to the argent silver. Should I clean em up and rattle can them, or get them powder coated? Have a guy locally that will strip, blast, and powder coat them for $300. I know it is a good deal, but still a lot more than me doing the paint myself. Also, if I powder coat them, I wouldn't be able to change the color if I wanted to in the future (not easily). Not sure I would ever want to. Just wanted to hear pros and cons and your thoughts on it.
You must be registered for see images attach
$300.00 powder coated and done? I’d be all over that. Stripped mine down, painted and clear coated. It’s a lot of work!

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good rattle paint and clear will last I have a set that still looks good after 2 years. But $300 to strip and powder coat I'd be all over that

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always rattle can wheels, mainly for ease of touch-up. The price is also hard to beat.

I've had mixed experiences with powder coating in general. Sometimes it seems pretty impervious. Other times, it seems to not hold up as well, and then comes off in sheets. Paint is easily redone at home, and more easily stripped in the future if necessary, so that's just what I do.