Wheels and Hubcaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeresJohnny

Reaction score
Looking at switching my stock aluminum Suburban wheels out for steelies and old school dog dish caps. But I have never used these before. Do I need to get rally style wheels to make them work, or would any correct size steelie work for them? Here are a some wheels I am looking and and the caps I would like to use. From what I am seeing, the face profile of the rally wheels are different than these, so I am wanting to make sure I don't buy something that doesn't work. Sorry if this has been answered before, but I have looked all through here and can't find the info anywhere.
You must be registered for see images attach

HeresJohnny

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Been looking all day at different options. I am wanting to mount 31x10.5 15's on whatever I get. Looking online it looks like the rally style wheels from the 70's and 80's vans and trucks are all 6.5" wide, but I see everyone on wheel threads that they are running rally wheels from that era that are 8" wide. I think a 6.5" wheel would be a bit too skinny for the 10.5" tires. What vehicles should I be looking at to find a set of 15x8 steel wheels? Rally, nub style or center cap. I am open to any of them. Just not sure where to get the 8" wide wheels other than buying new aftermarket.

HeresJohnny

Reaction score
Ok, I ended up skipping the dog dish idea. Gonna go with rally wheels with a trim rings and center caps. Pulled a great set of 15x8 wheels off a 1979 C10 locally. They already had trim rings on them. Took em home and cleaned em all up and polished the rings. They rings came out great. Also found someone locally that had put a brand new set of 31x10.5x15 tires on their jeep and then totaled it the next week. So they sold em to me for about a third of new. They still have the nubs and only about 200 miles on them! Love it.

Now to the question. I want to take the wheels to the argent silver. Should I clean em up and rattle can them, or get them powder coated? Have a guy locally that will strip, blast, and powder coat them for $300. I know it is a good deal, but still a lot more than me doing the paint myself. Also, if I powder coat them, I wouldn't be able to change the color if I wanted to in the future (not easily). Not sure I would ever want to. Just wanted to hear pros and cons and your thoughts on it.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good score!

Take red scotch brite pad and scuff the wheels. A good quality rattle can paint is what i always do. Last forever, and ez touch up if needed.