What type oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My 96 gets 15w-40 year round with wix filter ofcourse.

My 95's old motor got/gets(temp-installed to move truck around)50 during the summer, 40 in spring and fall, 30 in freezing winter(40 if it's a hot winter)....and Purolator Gold filter with the 40 and 30 weights, wix with the 50 weight.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Here's a tip for future reference....if you have any vehicle with a timing chain/belt tensioner that works off oil pressure, you'll need to run wix filters on it, trust me, you'll thank me in the long run. Wix filters are freer flowing like stock filters and don't negatively affect the oil pressure as much as ones like fram, and others that offer advanced filtering. Usually, the better something filters, then the more it slows the oil flow. That's the general rule of thumb, some companies claim higher flow and higher filtration, I've yet to figure out how that's possible, except with using different materials maybe. :shrug:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Good info. I've always run Wix filters on my vehicles and tractors. Never had a problem.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I think carquest has them also, their name brand(branded Carquest) will say wix on them i believe too....last wix i got was from carquest iirc, it was store-branded but said Wix on the side. It's been a year or 2 since i did the oil change, so i don't remember exactly, it was for that 260z out at the house in starkville.

dgalando

Reaction score
I run full synthetic oil, Mobil 1 5W-30 all the time.. I have never had any issues with my truck and it has over 168,000 miles, 74,000 when I bought it.. I pulled my oil pan at 150,00 just to look over everything and it almost looks like a brand new motor inside.. My uncle turned me onto synthetic when I was first starting to drive as he told it is less harsh on the internals and after 20 years, several engines and vehicles later I'll stand by that advice..