What type oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
I know this can be subject of great debate, but what oil do you guys use?

Since most of our truck have alot of miles one them do any of you use the high milage oils?

What about oil viscosity?

Yea..............I just opened a can of worms. :hmm:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Well, I've run a few different brands since buying my truck in April. Pennzoil (in it when I bought), Mobil 1, and Lucas Oil. All were 5w-30 with the exception of the Lucas Oil, it was 10w-40 semi synthetic. I also run a Wix filter. In the summer I plan on running a heavier oil (15w-40) because of the heat here in Arizona. FWIW, I've always run what the manufacturer recommends during the winter months, and used something heavier during the summer, and when I'm doing the most pulling with the truck.

BTW, I think the high mileage oils are a bunch of crap. Mine's got 147k on it.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I use 1 quart of 15w-40 diesel oil and the rest just regular 5w-30. Diesel oil tends to have more ZDDP in it so I don't wipe my cam. Supposedly the new SN spec oil has even less ZDDP than SM!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my 94 I run rotella 15-40 during the summer, and valvoline 10-30 in the winter
In my 97 I run 10-30

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I'm running 5w-30 right now. Don't remember the brand, but if i'm not mistaken it's castrol gtx. Next i wanna go synthetic because i hear good things.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
300k+. I run Mobil Clean 5000(I think its called Super 5000 now) conventional. Change it every 3k, never had an oil leak or oil loss. 5 quarts go in, 4+ and the filter come out. I try to run WIX and Mobil 1 filters. WIX are the best for the money. Delco filters are sometimes good, sometimes crap. They use difference suppliers. You can tell by the weight and color of the soft parts. If the soft parts are black they are the cheap stuff. Red, orange or blue and they are good filters.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use Canadian Tire's brand of Motomaster Formula 1 synthetic 5W30 (made by Shell), it often goes on big sales so I buy it ahead of time (sometimes as little as $20 per 4L jug, reg $40). I don't use their house brand filters though, they are made by Fram (for that I use Quaker State, made by Purolator who is known to be among the best), which also happen to go on regular sales at Canadian Tire.