What the heck? One subwoofer is louder than 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ohms are the measure of resistance.

haha not sure he'll understand that either, I know what resistance can do, but I'm not even sure how to put it in plain words :hmm: I believe its the level of frequency allowed/restricted within the circuit correct?

we might need the help of some audio experts so explain this one!

Last edited:

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I try to relate electricity to water flow, volts is like pressure, watts is like flow (gpm), and ohms is like diameter of the pipe. Its not exactly correct, but its the closest way to aproximate it.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the subs are not in phase with one another, they will destructively intefere or even partially cancel eachother out. Double check connections (polarity). A/B'ing one sub at a time will also confirm if thats the case...

Truth!

Check them with a 9volt battery. 'Pop' them positive to positive on the battery and neg to neg on the battery. The sub's cone should move in the same direction on both subs.

Make sure the amp can handle 2ohm mono. If it can only handle 4 ohm mono that is why it is getting really hot.

Box design is very important, but since you say it hits hard with just one sub wired, then my guess is the sub is happy with the enclosure size. I have been out of the audio business for 15 years, but I have seen many systems not sound as good as they should based on speakers being out of phase (Mids/Highs and Subs). I always 'pop' the speakers to check proper phase when connecting speaker leads to an amp.