Subwoofer stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello yall, today at a stoplight my sub stopped working out of nowhere, just like it turned off. There is power going to the amp and it seems to be okay upon visual inspection.

Theres continuity in all of the wires so no breaks there.

I took the sub out of the box, it's a 4ohm box. I tested it and it's a bit high at around 4.8ohm. Does this signify a blown sub?

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Noticed here and there the sub makes a tiny little pop. I think its blown

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does your head unit have an on/off setting for the subwoofer pre-outs? If it does and you lost battery power, it might have reverted to default settings and shut them off. Just thought I'd mention that before you go switching amps, I've seen it happen before.

EDIT - Just remembered you said it quit playing while the truck was running at a stop light, probably an amp issue.

Last edited:

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah amp failed. No power going to the sub. The green status light blinks like every 10 seconds and the sub makes a small noise. That light should be constant.

It has power going in and cleaned the ground to no avail.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my sub RMS is rated at 50-150.

So for my new amp I should get something close to that range right? It's hard to find something with a low enough RMS for it, but I found a Rockville one thats rated at 200RMS.

Heres the link: Link

Another one im looking at: link

Last edited: