What the heck? One subwoofer is louder than 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The thing with amplifiers is that they run at a certain range of RMS watts for the different output settings available. With this amp the single channel RMS is saying that it's at 250, which is plenty to power this sub! It also says that it can run at 250x2 when bridged. So bridge that baby and let em rip! :rocking: The only thing is that bridged you'll be running at 4 ohms and non-bridged you're running it at 2 ohms (the lower the ohms the bigger the sound). This amp will definitely run the two subs just fine with 250 to each at 4 ohms, you may have to look into the gain, frequency, and HPF/LPF (high/low pass filters) settings on the amp itself for some fine tuning to achieve maximum performance, and optimal sound out of your amp. I have installed numerous sound systems in my experience and they all sound different!

Just for an example my 97 Sub has one 10" alpine type S sub running with 250 RMS in a ported box, and she sounds just perfect to me! I'm not one of those so much bass that it shakes your eyelashes kinda guy though....it's all personal opinion

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so... if i understand this right.... one sub with twice the power is louder then 2 subs and half the power that the one sub had.... sounds like common scence to me....

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so... if i understand this right.... one sub with twice the power is louder then 2 subs and half the power that the one sub had.... sounds like common scence to me....

i'm not sure where you're getting the twice the power bit from? the only difference from one sub to two is the ohm rating (1 speaker 2 ohms/2 speakers 4 ohms)....with both setups they run at 250 RMS watts

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
i'm not sure where you're getting the twice the power bit from? the only difference from one sub to two is the ohm rating (1 speaker 2 ohms/2 speakers 4 ohms)....with both setups they run at 250 RMS watts

I believe he is operating under the assumption that changing from 2 ohms to 4 doubles the available wattage. This is the flaw I am pointing out in the statement above. Many of the "cheaper" (don't get offended guys, its not an insult, but a generalization) amps rate themselves for any given ohm load and basically say that 4 ohms = X watts, 2 ohms = 2X watts, 1 ohm = 4X watts. Assuming that this is given is false. For instance, my old JL 250/1 was rated at 250 watts.. from 16 ohms, all the way down to 1. I ran 2 4 ohm SVC subs sealed with it for a while, then tried a single, and realized that I really wasn't losing anything but trunk space by having the 2nd. (they were in large, ported individual boxes behind the seats of my S-10 also... and a single did just fine)

Last edited:

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe he is operating under the assumption that changing from 2 ohms to 4 doubles the available wattage. This is the flaw I am pointing out in the statement above. Many of the "cheaper" (don't get offended guys, its not an insult, but a generalization) amps rate themselves for any given ohm load and basically say that 4 ohms = X watts, 2 ohms = 2X watts, 1 ohm = 4X watts.

agreed again! you're good lmao

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've also learned the hard way that "two-ohm-stable" amps have a much shorter life span if used as such...

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

That is just what i gatherd from what you all are saying, bascially, i do not understand all this ohms and all that, so i have to use the simplest terms possible