What motor oil are you running in your Vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever oil the previous owner used, 'cause I haven't put enough miles on it to need to change oil.

At whatever point I do dump the oil, it'll get Amsoil 5W-30 "XL", with a Wix filter.

Rick Reid

Reaction score
Mobil 1 Synth after the 1st 2000 mile break in, a new gm 350 crate performance motor after the stock that had 242,000.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever oil the previous owner used, 'cause I haven't put enough miles on it to need to change oil.

At whatever point I do dump the oil, it'll get Amsoil 5W-30 "XL", with a Wix filter.

When I bought mine I looked at the oil change sticker on the window and it was about half way through the 3000 oil change interval, so I though great, at least this truck has been cared for properly. After driving it for a few weeks I noticed the date on the oil change sticker was from over 2 years ago!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Manual calls for a 30W or optional 40W so I run 0W40 Mobil One, the lower the first number the better. Were I to opt for a 30W oil, it'd be 0W40. I probably should run that but don't as I go through about 2 quarts every 5,000 miles on my 270k engine.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little off base but Ive noticed that its getting harder to find conventional motor oil, well at WalMart anyways, everything is synthetic. Ive read/been told that if your motor has always used conventional that its better to stay with it and my 454 has always used it, at least to my knowledge. The one brand that they carry in CMO is Quaker State so Ive been using that in 10-40W
I don't have any leaks and it doesn't smoke but I do use a little oil every so often, not a lot but I do check it regularly, **** I guess
Bobby V

jnewkirk77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run Harvest King from our local Rural King store for the past several years, in everything. A 5 qt. jug of conventional 5W-30 costs me $10, and I use the AC Delco filter. I change it every 5,000 miles and usually have to add a quart after about 2,500. All in all, for a '96, not bad.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Valvoline 5/30 conventional, no special reason, just trying to be consistent.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it leaks or burns oil 10w40 or 20w50 cheap conventional oil depending on mileage.

if it doesnt leak or burn 5w30 Amsoil Signature and run it for the full 25k miles per oil change.

Are you serious? 25k on ANY oil is foolish! Use any synthetic you want and about any filter (except a gram) and change ur oil every 5k and a vortec will live forever. I just had to pull and replace cams on a new Malibu ( yeah I know it's not a vortec ) with 30k miles on it , cams we're about wiped out cause the dumb chick had the oil changed with that mobile 1 once a year oil and went 12k on it and she said " it started running weird" oil was full and a bit dark so I put gauge on it and compression was there but kinda popped and sucked through exhaust. Long story short valves weren't opening completely cause lobes were badly worn. She said " I thought that oils was good for a year?" ...just plain foolish to go that far, oil is cheap, major engine repair is not, CHANGE UR OIL lol

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Valvoline SynPower 0W or 5W-40 (think I'll be switching to Pennzoil Pure Plus Platinum or whatever the F it is next OC) with Wix synthetic media filters, changed every 5k. Engine went in my truck with 145k on it, now has 170k on it. No oil consumption for the first ~3,500 miles and now that is skewed as the rear main now leaks. Yay for rust protection and sweating horsepower all over my driveway.