What motor oil are you running in your Vortec?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My reasoning for sticking with a 3K change interval with conventional 5W-30 is pretty simple, it's what both trucks have always had since they were brand new. That and the fact that it takes me a year or so to put that many miles on either one of them. It's a little excessive but it's never caused any issues in almost 25 years. I'm not going to mess with a good thing.

With that said as @PlayingWithTBI mentioned there are a million opinions on this subject and no solution is necessarily perfect for everyone. If you have questions or concerns about your current oil change interval or oil condition then I'd strongly recommend the Blackstone Labs test, though. I have it done periodically on all of my vehicles just for peace of mind. Costs a little bit of money but it's nice to know there's nothing in there that shouldn't be.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya, but you spend $27 every 3000 and I spend around $35 every 5000, and I always end up with either a K&N or Mobil1 filter too. I justified the 5k interval years ago because by my math it was the same cost as dino every 3k, but less work. I have enough other never ending catch-up maintenance on my truck that I stay apprised to most everything on it. I have 270k now and it burns the same amount of oil it did at 200k without the blower. Any time I lift a valve cover it's squeaky clean in there. 3000mi intervals are a thing of the past. Oil has gotten better and EFI goes a long, long ways toward keeping your oil clean.

If ur running synthetic 5k is the norm, I still run conventional so I still go 3k but I leak some and am usually a pint low at 3k anyways. But yeah I think all synthetics r good for 5k. I'm more along the lines of ppl don't bother to look at anything in thier car but the gas gauge untill they change oil , more frequent is better in that aspect I guess. I'm a ASE and state certified mechanic and daily I see the neglect on ppls cars. I've seen 3 year old oil that hasn't been changed because there wasn't enuff miles on it yet, oil is oil, it will seperate if it sits too long, that's why there is a time and mileage on it. Agreed it's ALOT better now than it used to be tho lol.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I see the neglect on the used **** I buy, so yeah it's rampant. You should go synthetic and do 5k changes and reduce your workload. You're like me and are always poking around the thing anyway, you won't get blindsided any worse than 3k intervals. If I ever did a used oil analysis I could justify pushing further, but without that feedback I just won't.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Just personal preference then, and oil analysis cost money too, but you never know when there was a bad batch or an off addative even from factory. Kinda like gambling i guess. I don't gamble , my oil provider says they suggest changing at 3k or 3 months like most oil manufacturers do. I prefer safe and just change it and KNOW my engine is safe ya know. Have lots of other things on my truck is rather spend cash on besides a crate engine or my time putting one in if I got sum faulty oil or something dumb happens. To each thier own I guess, but I know my **** is good how I do it. I spend $27 every 3k on oil and filter and get to look my truck over on the hoist while I'm doing it and k ow EVERYTHING is good. I think my biggest issue with going that long vs 3 or 5k is ppl neglect to look everything else over like u r supposed to when you do an oil change. On our trucks everything is starting to get pretty old and needs greased and lubed and looked over and waiting 25k between changes means there is very little chance anyone is gonna roll under thier truck to inspect and check **** inbetween oil changes .

I spend $130 every 25k miles and that includes 6 quarts, 2 filters and a used oil analysis. You spend $225 every 25k miles with no used oil analysis.

Not trying to ruffle more feathers but I KNOW whats going on inside my engine at EVERY oil change. If I start to see trends in the oil analysis I will change my habits. I like numbers instead of feelings.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Crossfire (engine and drive train from the Mercedes SLK320) factory spec was 7500 miles with mobil1 0w-40 European Formula. I bought it new in 2004 and it has 186000 miles on it - doesn't burn or lose any oil with those intervals, just saying.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I use Amsoil OE 5W30 Engine oil and Wix XP Oil Filters. Due to the age of the engine I replace the oil every 5k miles to keep it somewhat clean. Amsoil does really well in making my engine run pretty smooth and quiet. I use the OE mainly because I get a discount on it.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use valvoline VR-1 on my 88 10w30.
And use shell rottela 15a40 in my 94 or whatever is similar on sale at the time.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5w30 with the top line advance Auto filters (rebranded wix). Change every 5k miles or every year, whichever comes first. I have a brand new engine, wouldn't switch to synthetic on an older one.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5w30 with the top line advance Auto filters (rebranded wix). Change every 7k miles or every year, whichever comes first. I have a brand new engine, wouldn't switch to synthetic on an older one.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Do you have a source for your claim of Advance filters being rebranded Wix? They seem more the type to rebrand a POS. I Know Napa is rebranded Wix.